1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Sox hire Robin Ventura as manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 6, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It was very well played. Something we're not going to hear about the next few White Sux teams under Mr. Ventura.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Brian, I don't know that this had a direct effect on the White Sox, but the biggest news of that series was Michael Jordan's "retirement," conveniently timed to when we out-of-town (as I was at the time) reporters were in already in Chicago.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm in the minority but I love this hire. Ventura has the perfect demeanor for a big league manager. And since Reinsdork is obviously fond of him, he'll be a lot more than the sacrificial lamb during a rebuilding period. No reason why he can't be in the chair as long or longer than Guillen.

Frank Thomas as a hitting coach sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, though.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

To be honest, I had to look Pasqua up by searching for the '91 White Sox on baseball-reference. If I'd remembered, I would have probably used Karkovice, simply because he may have been the ugliest man I have ever seen on television.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only because you never watched the pilot of "The Don Mossi Variety Hour."

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or a Nebraska football game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was Kenny Williams at all serious about the Konerko player-manager idea? ESPN wrote it up as him being serious for the second and a half that he considered it, which is the second and a half that should tell Reinsdorf that Kenny Williams is not the man for the GM job.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah ... he sounded serious.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure the endgame for Kenny Williams is a padded cell (not a padded Cell). Whether he got there b/c of Ozzie I don't know but that dude is nuts.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was going to say that picture never gets old, but then I realized that's a new picture that was just taken tonight after Ryan read Ventura's comments about Jimy's spank aid.

He's coming for you next, Jimy.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I care about this as much as Manky cares about the loonie [/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted