1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House, NBC News clash

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, May 19, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Memo to White House: You guys lied to the country to go to a war that has killed 4,000 American soldiers and countless civilians. NBC has edited the president's remarks in an interview he gave in a way that you don't approve. You guys should be the last ones to complain about presenting a false picture.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I get 15 minutes with the most evasive president in, well, history, I run every last inch of it. I don't pick out the one smirk line he had and pretend that's all that was gleaned from the time.

We live in troubling, difficult times. A war is on. If the President gives an exclusive interview, yeah, show it all. Show it twice. It really is more important than all the horsecrap on the Today Show, isn't it?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

News is about reporting relevant data.

Not providing thugs with 15-minute informercials.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Fox and NBC (particularly MSNBC, and specifically O'Reilly and Olbermann) have been in a pissing contest for some time now and, given the cozy relationship between Fox and the current White House, I see this as an extension of the pissing contest.

It's what happens when hacks like O'Reilly, Beck and Olbermann take over the prime time slots in "news" channels. The sad thing is, if you flip your TV on at 7 p.m. now, you can't find news. It's just partisan spewing, mostly right-wing except for Olbermann, who has tried to take that O'Reilly and Beck schtick and put a left-wing spin on it. It's all absolute garbage.

By the way, if you condemn Olbermann without catching O'Reilly and Beck in the same broad stroke, you're probably a partisan shill (by the way, Ben_Hecht, that comment wasn't intended for you, just a general observation...).

That will be all.

6. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Very nice. As the kids say: Pwned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No offense taken.

8. trench

trench Member

That's funny, because I've found pretty much every national media outlet (broadcast) is unabashedly leftist with the exception of Fox. Truth is, with its own shameless failure to report things down the middle, the NBC's of the world CREATED the news vacuum that Fox gladly filled. Of course, Fox leans right and not down the middle as claimed, but had the major networks just done their jobs right from the beginning, the demand for something like Fox would never have been nearly so strong. On a totally unrelated note, the NBC morning show lost all credibility with me one morning a couple of summers ago when they went on location to a Louisiana floodzone and put one of those talking heads in a canoe with an oar on a neighborhood street as if it were too deep to navigate without a boat. Then during the live shot, two guys in the background cross the street on foot, about ankle deep in water. Classic "World-is-Ending" BS from Couric and clan.

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

For some years my perception of Fox was that it had a solid right-wing lineup of commentators (presenting reporters from the Washington Post and New York Times,who were actually supposed to be neutral, the liberal counterbalance), but the news operation was supposedly playing it down the middle.

The night Brit Hume came on at the top of his news hour in August 2004 and started whining about the mainstream media "burying" Swift Boat story, that totally ended that perception for me.

As for Olbermann, I didn't care for him at all on "Sportscenter." But I started watching him a lot when it seemed like he was the only one, besides Air America and some Internet sites, calling out Bushco and the right-wing on a regular basis.

Keith has found his niche, just like Bill-o.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Chris Wallace pretending to be neutral is also good for many laughs.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Didn't he say that once he started working for Fox he realized how leftwing the other media is? And that Fox is fair and balanced. What told me he was a solid Fox News employee was his "Profiles in Courage" type book he wrote sometime in '03 or '04, which included W for deciding to invade Iraq.

Personally I thought in 2003, and still believe, that the invasion was a bad idea. Of course we still have to see how it plays out, and perhaps Bush and the neocons will be proven right. But it seems that Wallace was sucking up to his viewership with this book.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's a better case for staying in Iraq, now, than there was for barging in, in the manner in which the U. S. barged in.

I won't deny that.

That said, that does not begin to forgive the lying douchebaggery we've endured since the kickoff of Fredo's and The Penguin's Putrid Adventure.

That does not even address the NeoCon$' long-term batting average, which remains lower than a snake's belly.

Thank$.

Draft saved Draft deleted