1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House denies it ordered CIA to forge document to connect Iraq to al Qaeda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to give the WH the benefit of the doubt, but Suskind has a better track record for being honest, truthful and accurate than they do.
    Book says White House ordered forgery
    By MIKE ALLEN, POLITICO

A new book by the author Ron Suskind claims that the White House ordered the CIA to forge a back-dated, handwritten letter from the head of Iraqi intelligence to Saddam Hussein.

Suskind writes in “The Way of the World,” to be published Tuesday, that the alleged forgery – adamantly denied by the White House – was designed to portray a false link between Hussein’s regime and al Qaeda as a justification for the Iraq war.

The author also claims that the Bush administration had information from a top Iraqi intelligence official “that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq – intelligence they received in plenty of time to stop an invasion.”

The letter’s existence has been reported before, and it had been written about as if it were genuine. It was passed in Baghdad to a reporter for The (London) Sunday Telegraph who wrote about it on the front page of Dec. 14, 2003, under the headline, “Terrorist behind September 11 strike ‘was trained by Saddam.’”

The Telegraph story by Con Coughlin (which, coincidentally, ran the day Hussein was captured in his “spider hole”) was touted in the U.S. media by supporters of the war, and he was interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press."

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The argument for WH apologists is that they were acting in the best interests of the country, mistakes or not. And that they might have highlighted certain intelligence, but they didn't outright lie.

If, and I know it's an if, this is true it changes things. It turns a reliance on bad, faulty intelligence into an outright lie.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd like a second source.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it for a second. The WH seems to get all its clever tricks from watching 24. This administration lost the benefit of the doubt with me long ago.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

What trust has the administration earned other than hiding behind the respect we're supposed to give the country's commander-in-chief?

I wouldn't put it past the Bush administration to manufacture facts to further their agenda.

5. How can anyone doubt this administration lied?
    The CIA told Bush Iraq had not bought yellowcake from Niger. He still used it in his State of the Union.
    That's a lie.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

All the tricks of 24 with no Jack Bauer to use them is a bad combination.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The good thing is that they're running out of time.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But how could they have known the yellowcake document was forged?

What?

Oh.

Draft saved Draft deleted