1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House Correspondents' Association Dinner Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 9, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Happening LIVE! now on C-SPAN!!!

** Gretta is wearing a pantsuit.

** Tyra Banks doing to model walk down the red carpet, then stopped by Al Sharpton for an awkward conversation

** How tall is Joe Scarborough? He looks towering out there in the audience.

Welcome to my Super Bowl!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

PO - they're doing a special on it on MSNBC. I always look forward to someone making a complete ass out of themselves. Good thing there isn't any news going on.

3. Point of Order

Pretty strong stuff there from Obama - both on the funny and the serious. Wow!

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Who's the future audit victim emcee this year, PO?

5. DanOregon

Well, that should fill the newscycle for the next week or so.... ouch.

6. Point of Order

Jennifer Loven, who looked simply dreadful, is the president of the WHCA; she was doing most of the intros. Steve Scully from C-SPAN gave out scholarships. Brian Williams handed out awards.

Wanda Sykes was the comedian. She had a pretty funny bit about the President thinking his bball game was good because no one wanted to guard him too closely with secret service around; going to get a burger with Biden; funny line about not wanting to see the president's nipples (from the beach pics); very crude & unnecessary remark about Sarah Palin pulling out not being how your practice abstinence.

BO's was by far the best performance of the night. The first half of his speech was almost like a roast. He bagged on Joe Biden, Michael Still, FoxNews, Tim Geitner, Larry Summers, Dick Cheney, the press, Hillary, and I'm sure others I can't remember. The second half of his remarks consisted of some very sincere words for the importance of journalism and his support for the industry.

BO's Best line (from memory):

"Dick Cheney couldn't be here tonight. He's working on his memoirs, tentatively titled 'How to Shoot Friends and Interrogate People.'"

7. DanOregon

As soon as Wanda started the intro ..."Sarah Palin had to pull out at the last minute..." I'm sure I wasn't the only one that wanted to duck under a table.

Liked Obama's line about Summers being up six hours past his bedtime. Rahm and Mother's Day...but the shout out to Michael Steele had me rolling.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Be prepared for some serious rightie apoplexy over Wanda's wisecracks on El Rushbo (he was the 20th hijacker, but missed his flight because he was high on Oxy).

9. DanOregon

Found it interesting that the journalists who won awards for their Presidential coverage were from People Magazine, the Seattle Times, NPR, and formerly of the Washington Post. Telling.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hey, that bunch (AKA America's backwash, or 24%) complain about Obama's choice of condiments, so what else would you expect?

11. Point of Order

Picked this up from Politico... ahh! All is right with the world:

Schoolyard bu

12. His capper on the state of newspapers and, more importantly, their value was phenomenal.

Draft saved Draft deleted