1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

La Frog tastes like medicine. Bad medicine.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's certainly an acquired taste. I prefer Ardbeg or Lagavulin. They are both peaty and smoky as well, but it tastes less like a gimmick.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hop over to San Pedro to get your drink on at Fido's.

4. TigerVols

As for Scotch knowledge, this a good place to start:

Although I'm partial to Islays:

5. TigerVols

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, that's the problem. Although travel throughout Central America is largely unrestricted for U.S. servicemembers, San Pedro Sula is completely off limits. :(

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And thunderstorms kept me out of Belize today. Super pissed off.

8. TigerVols

Well hell. Now that Southwest flies there, I'm looking forward to a return trip. Now that I know only the Squaddies will be boozing in San Pedro...even moreso!

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I listened to this podcast yesterday about a small-batch bourbon that has folks all in a tizzy. Late in the 'cast, the bartender said something about what he did with the stuff, and it made me laugh out loud as I was driving. It's a good listen.

Wanting the Bourbon You Can’t Have (Gravy Ep. 35)

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is my favorite non-Kentucky small batch bourbon. Super smooth. The Rye is also great.

KOVAL Distillery - Bourbon

Blanton's would be my everyday bourbon if I were just a bit more successful. As it is, I lean toward Bulliet over Makers as my everyday.

Balvenie 12 and Balvenie 15 are great scotches. The 12 is between $55 and $65 a bottle. The 15 is about $100. I went to a wedding once (very rich people) that had 15 as its rail scotch, and I think I had about 8 glasses. I barely felt drunk. It was perfection.

Locally (for me), if you're in the Chesapeake region, try the Sagamore Spirit Rye. It's new and quite good.

One of the best bourbons I've tried in recent years was a Jefferson's Reserve Groth Cask Finish that was about $90. My sister bought it for a Christmas present. Damn it was great.

Lastly, if you ever make it to Montana, or have a friend go, or you live there already, Glacier Distillery makes some of the best small batch whiskeys I've ever had. Bad Rock and Fireweed. Bad Rock is fucking amazing. 110 proof. Fireweed has a hint of cherry brandy. So good.

Bad Rock Rye - Glacier Distilling

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I enjoy Buffalo Trace as a non special occasion bourbon.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Enjoying Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond as we speak while watching Premier a League highlights. $13.99 and remarkable.

Draft saved Draft deleted