1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

and keep the GF if she is stocking such high quality bourbon

Vombatus and TigerVols like this.
  2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been watching Frasier on Netflix the last month or so. He and Niles regularly drink sherry. I've never had it, but I'm intrigued. Is it only for cooking, or is it worth taking a sip or twelve?

Update: Guess this should go on a wine thread. I was too lazy to look for one. Or start one.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Got a glass of Macallan 20-year at the Bellagio for $1 per year. Of course, that was in 2004 (holy shit, 2004!).

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I recently tried a craft American whiskey that was aged in sherry oak barrels. Gave it a nice tart bite. It makes me curious about trying sherry. Never thought to until I had the whiskey.

5. bigpern23

Yeah, the wedding was super posh (by my standards, at least). I'd be stunned if they spent less than $75K.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador (awesome program. Also, great tour if you're ever in the backwoods of Kentucky.) I love my Maker's, it's so smooth and does well both neat and mixed. TX Whiskey from Firestone and Robertson in Fort Worth is damn good whiskey from my neck of the world, but I'm not sure if you can find it much away from DFW. I cook with Four Roses (every Thanksgiving, I break out a bourbon chocolate pecan pie that I have yet to hear any complaints about.)

I've been wanting to get into scotch but I don't even know where to start and I don't quite have the money to play "I wonder if this scotch is good" at my local bars. Seems to be Macallan is a good place to start, by this thread?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So Derby pie? One of my all-time favorites.

8. bigpern23

The Macallan is an excellent place to start. It runs like $55 for a 750 ML bottle of the 12-year single malt and it's excellent. It obviously gets more expensive (and tastier) as it gets older, but I definitely enjoy the 12. I also recommend Oban 14 (which will run you anywhere from $60-$75 for a 750ML) and The Glenlivet 12 is a solid selection at a lower price point ($35-$45).

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I had the Oban14 a few months ago, it's excellent. 115 a bottle up here.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The mail -- which is handling the delivery of my bottle of Blanton's -- is really slow, here in Central America ... But that's OK. I get to spend tomorrow at the Radison in Belize City.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You probably want to start with a Speyside scotch, something like a Glenlivet, Glenfiddich or Macallan. The Islay scotches like Laphroig are smoky as can be and are really an acquired taste. (I still haven't acquired it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted