1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm doing something very bad lately - slamming the girlfriend's Jack Daniels single barrel and Jim Beam's Black lately. Firing them neat, with an occasional chaser. I will be hanging with Navy folks (Ret) soon, and could use some advice.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dewar's on the rocks does me right.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I take my bourbon neat with a beer back.
    Sadly unable to indulge these days

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Four Roses is my current jam.

amraeder likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Songbird

I dated other whiskeys but they were mostly cheap whores. But there were a few I'd bring home to mom.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Maker's Mark. I like it neat but if I am trying to make it last, I will put 1-2 ice cubes in it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I suppose my point with Dewar's is that it's a nice segway into the world of scotch if you've never tried scotch, but you quickly graduate to something better and single malted.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you are looking for good, not too expensive, single malt scotches, I would recommend Macallan, Balvenie and Glenrothes. All three are pretty smooth drinking if you are in the 12-year range.

If you want to man up into Ron Swanson territory, Lagavulin 16 gets the job done, but it is more expensive and has more of a bite to it.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Makers neat for me as well. Not a bad additive for an after dinner coffee as well.

Ace likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Abelour 12 year is a really nice Highland scotch, smooth and just a touch sweet. Usually a touch more expensive than the Glens (Fiddich, Livet, Rothes), but not that much more. One of my faves.

TyWebb likes this.
  12. Songbird

Well, when I splurge for the best I go for Balvenie.

In the interim, Dewar's works.

Draft saved Draft deleted