1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which was worse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MCEchan36, Nov 23, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I started this on a previous thread, but I think this question is worthy of it's own. What was more traumatic for America: 11/22/63 or 9/11/01? I'm just about to turn 25, so I have no clue as to what JFK's assassination was like, but I sure as hell know about the later, especially living in the shadow of NYC.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably about equal. JFK was a huge shock -- it had been 60 years since a President had been assassinated -- but there wasn't the feeling the entire nation was under attack.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hmm, very, very good question.

I would argue that -- ON THAT DAY -- 9/11 was much more traumatic, although 11/22 could absolutely give it a run for its money.

But for overall impact, at least inside this country, no way 9/11 trumps 11/22. Our day-to-day lives haven't changed very much in the last five years (I don't mean soldiers, or their families, who are now fighting a war. Theirs certainly have.) But the changes that took place domestically from 1963-68 were monumental, compared to the previous generation or three. Not so much, this time.

4. oldhack

oldhack Member

Interesting point about the depths of change. But one of the big differences I never thought about until now is how the power of government has changed since 11/22. The power of the federal government in '63 was nowhere what it is today, and the reaction to JFK's assassination was primarily popular, rather than governmental. The conspiracy theories are evidence of that, in a way. After 9/11, the principal response was from a much more powerful federal government. We looked for the government to respond much more than we did after 11/22. And, as I posted on another thread, I really believe that the response to 9/11 depends on where you live: the closer you are to the Washington-New York corridor, the more intense your response.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In terms of total trauma for the country, I definitely 9/11 was much, much worse. Echoing other sentiments here, it certainly did feel like the whole country was under attack, even though it was isolated to three locations.

However, in talking with those old enough to remember, 11/22 was equally terrible in a different way, as it signaled a loss of innocence that most people seemed unprepared to handle. Probably equal to the loss of innocence (if you can call it that) or perhaps sense of security we felt in the wake of 9/11.

Very good question to ponder, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted