1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which VP Candidate Can Swing a State?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 10, 2008.

?

Who can swing a state that isn't a slam dunk?

1. Strickland - Ohio

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Bayh - Indiana

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Sebelius - Kansas

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. McCaskill - Missouri

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Daschle - South Dakota

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. Hagel - Nebraska

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Richardson - New Mexico

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  8. Webb - Virginia

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  9. Kaine - Virginia

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. Warner - Virginia

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  11. Nunn - Georgia

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  12. Rendell - Pennsylvania

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  13. Romney - Michigan

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  14. Crist - Florida

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  15. Ridge - Pennsylvania

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  16. Pawlenty - Minnesota

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yup. The political media are being really lazy by buying into this brand-marketing approach to VP-picking instead of calling bullshit. And voters who buy into it are being idiots too. Pick a fucking statesman, not a symbol. Jesus Christ.

2. Carlton Fisk should be able to carry New Hampshire and Vermont for either candidate (Pudge was actually born in Vermont). He could also bring over that all important Red Sox Nation vote.

3. Naw, Fisk annoyed the locals when he pulled a Giuliani and didn't run in the NH primary. ;D

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Warner is making a run at the Senate in Virginia, I believe.

His vote in the Senate will be very valuable.

Virginia has a lot of potential political clout now, and if the VP can swing it demo, then it might be the most important state.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Phil Bredesen could swing Tennessee and help Obama in other places. Has fine progressive cred from his days as Nashville's mayor, and has been a solid moderate as Tennessee's governor. Can also carry a lot of water in the health-care-reform debate.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The two names that seem to be hot right now in DC are Webb and Biden. Both are home runs, IMO.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think McCain picking Rick Santorum -- could swing about nine states Obama's way......

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What's funny is, I've covered both of those senators, as well as some others. But those two are the absolute fucking WORST when it comes to media relations. I like what they say, most of the time. But their press staffs can be as big a waste of tax dollars as a bridge to no where can be. Just the two worst.

Overall, I really like Biden's take on a lot of issues. I'm not a fan of how he operates in his home state, but I like his take on national and international issues. I also really like Webb. But Webb's media people are as worthless as Cheney's. I just had to say it, because it's true.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My concern about Webb is that he seems like he would be a loose cannon, that he might overplay the bulldog role at times. That and his stance on women in the military, which you know would come up and wouldn't help any bitter Hillary supporters. But any VP candidate is going to have some warts.

I still like the idea of taking someone like Brian Schweitzer, who matches up with Obama in ideology but is cut from a country cloth to reach voters Obama's stuggled to win over, as VP, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted