1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which TV shows did you quit watching after watching for several seasons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The thing I always liked about the original Law and Order is that it was 99 percent about the cases, almost no references to a personal life. I loved that show when Orbach was on.

I think Stabler and whatever Hargitay's character is named became so popular that they felt they had to make Stabler's daughter get into trouble and have his marriage falling apart and Hargitay had her issues and that played into why I stopped watching. This was also when the show went from being a consistent hit to one of the biggest hits on TV.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a reason Hackman kissed the shrew in Hoosiers. We boys just don't understand it.

3. Mizzougrad96

I don't think I got too far into Private Practice.
    No kidding... I watch more Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Phineas and Ferb and Yo Gabba Gabba than any shows for normal people. I download a lot of shows and watch them on my iPod on my lunch break or something like that.

One of the other things we've done is just catch up on shows when they go into reruns, which these days is pretty quickly. We didn't catch up on NCIS: Los Angeles and House from last season until this summer.

4. 93Devil

Mizzou, do you have a Tivo yet? Not a DVR, but a real Tivo?

Switch out Yo Gabba Nothing to Word Girl. Match better show and it focuses on building vocabulary, plus it gives them a strong base in super hero and villain logistics.

Daddy, you are the Butcher, and I am Word Girl. I get you Butcher!!!! Oh no, Robot!!!

I will say that my daughter is so freaking into the Backyardigans, and I see almost no value in the show, but I guess it helps imagination play.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

That is exactly the purpose I see for "Backyardigans"...really fosters imagination.
    My kids love "Super Why" (PBS) and my oldest LOVES "Olivia".

OK, back to the original purpose of the thread....

Gave up Grey's after the Izzie-George debacle

West Wing lost me during season 4, but I picked it back up near the end and didn't regret it. Still one of my favorite finales ever.

Season 2 of The Wire was kind of strange to get into, but looking back on it now, it really was a great complement to the other three seasons.

24 after Season 2

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

After last night, I may need to amend my earlier entries to include How I Met Your Mother. It would be nice if the actors gave any indication that they wanted to be in front of the camera.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Son of the bitch!" ;)

I'm sorry they played out Ashley Williams so quickly, but I do like that the love triangle is going to come to a head.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Never missed an episode of "Hill Street Blues" early on. Then it just got bad, and I stopped watching. Same with "Northern Exposure."

I did manage to watch "St. Elsewhere" all the way through, even though it also declined as the original characters left. David Morse, Denzel Washington, Mark Harmon, Steven Furst ... a pretty amazing crew of actors, and that's not including the two old guys, whose names I can't remember. Even Howie Mandell was good.

"NYPD Blue" somehow managed to escape its mid-life malaise and finished strongly. Dennis Franz was that good.

9. Mizzougrad96

I had a real Tivo for about a decade. When we got rid of DirecTV, Tivo went away and we got DVR. The new DVRs are better than the old Tivos.

The Backyardigans is so politically correct it makes me want to barf, but that theme song is so catchy it's almost scary.

I actually like Yo Gabba Gabba. It seems more creative than some of the other kids shows and it's hilarious when they have Devo, Weezer, Mos Def, Sarah Silverman etc... as guests... I'll check out Word Girl that sounds interesting...

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought of another.

"Twin Peaks" just got too weird by its second season.

11. 93Devil

My Tivo will let me click on a group of shows (Like MM Clubhouse) and play the episodes one after the other, so every 22 or 30 minutes I am not messing with the remote and giving Lil 93 a new show.

Oh, I forgot Super Why. That is a very good show.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The Cosby Show when the kids got older. By the time they added Raven I was done with it.

Re: Cheers, Sam Malone was supposed to screw every woman. That was his character.

Draft saved Draft deleted