1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which TV shows did you quit watching after watching for several seasons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, 24 was fucking awful the last two years. It was parody. I watched it to make fun of it. It should have ended with Jack on his deathbed in the next-to-last season.

I'm in the minority but I think The Simpsons is still pretty good. No, it's not at its 1993-94 peak, but there's usually a couple good laughs per episode and once in a while they manage to come up with an all-time classic (Ralph runs for president, the Simpsons default on their mortgage).

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I agree completely BYH on the Simpsons. The gay marriage one was good too.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm not in a position to watch "shows" because of my job and rejection of the DVR routine. The only TV I watch is live sports, some movies and Stewart/Colbert, when possible.

Just a little surprised to see I'm the first one to say "The Sopranos." I watched it pretty religiously the first (I think) four or so seasons, then it seemed like the writers ran out of ideas. So to compensate, they just started whacking people indiscriminately, to keep people's interest. They whacked me in the process.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

CSI: I watched the mothership from the first night it was on, but really lost interest after William Petersen left. I'll duck back into reruns from time to time.
    House: As with many here, it wore out its welcome with me.
    Sex and the City/Sopranos: Weird to pair those two, but I moved and just had very basic cable for a couple years and never went back. Did watch last few eps of Sopranos.
    The Wire: (Hangs head) Watched the first season, then just wandered off. I'm embarrassed to admit that.
    West Wing: Just lost interest in it. Again, I did come back for the endgame.
    Once and Again: Remember this? Billy Campbell and Sela Ward? Really liked this show, but lost the handle on it after I moved and changed work schedule. Honestly, I'm not sure I realized there had been a third season until I stumbled onto its Wikipedia entry.

And a show I watched the entire (short) season of, but won't watch again:

Fairly Legal: Sarah Shahi is smokin' hot, but they tuned her into a Manic Pixie Legal Dream Girl as the season went on. I'll pass on a second helping of that.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to finally pull the plug on "Desperate Housewives" after one episode of its last season.

It was just so ... so ... I don't know. I just sat there and said, "I really don't like this anymore." And I certainly have enough in my DVD queue that it won't hurt to do a little self-editing.

In the past, I moved away from "West Wing" as they moved into Alda and Smits.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If Gilmore Girls had signed on for an eighth season, I can't say with absolute certainty that I would have watched. The last season was bad, horrible writing, recycled storylines, too much Christopher/Lorelai drama, not enough Luke or the other townspeople (which is one of the things I loved most in the beginning). The only episodes from the final season that I actually still watch are: when Emily, Lorelai and Rory go to Mia's wedding, when Rory graduates from Yale and the finale.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gilmore Girls went to certain wells way too often (Oh noes! Lorelai and Rory are in an argument to start the season! Rory made another poor decision in relationships!!), and that last season was a complete slog. Just complete garbage, as if someone flipped a switch and replaced the Palladinos with a guy who used to stalk Heidi Klum.

Oh yeah, that really happened.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/unscripted/category/networks/wb/

Desperate Housewives lost me after a couple of seasons.

Heroes was great until the final episode of the first season. After that, it became great fodder for some fun threads here.

Completely lost interest in Seinfeld a season or two from the end, when it became clear they were reading their own press and deliberately trying to create 'Water Cooler Material." The finale more than justified my decision.

Star Trek: Enterprise had no idea what it was doing, so I quit after a season.

Alias was really fun for two seasons. Then they did the whole "You've been missing for two years" cliffhanger, gave us tidbits for half a season that indicated some bad things were perpetrated by our heroine . . . then lost the nerve halfway through and reveal that "Yay! Sydney Bristow was on the side of the angels the whole time!!!!"

Prison Break was great for two seasons. Then, it wasn't.

And this:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20402674_20811073,00.html

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm having a 30 Rock rennaissance, at the moment. Stopped watching somewhere in the second season, not that I was tired of it, but other things got in the way. Picked up season 3 on DVD at the local library last weekend, have been watching it and laughing my ass off.

Same deal with Psych. I saw the first season, liked it, but for some reason didn't go back. Now catching up on DVD. Not a great, can't-miss show, but solid.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think I actually made it to the end of season 2 of Heroes, but I should have quit before that. Excellent first season, but then it turned to complete shit.

I agree with Piotr on Star Trek: Enterprise. I didn't even give it the first full season. I also bailed on Voyager, though I did watch the final episode.

Bailed on Smallville, too, though I came back to that one.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whenever shows forget what they were about in the first place and just delve into office romances is when I usually check out. CSI did it right - they hook the characters up and then write them out.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Giving up Grays this year. The whole MerDer thing has taken over the whole concept. Gave up Private Practice about halfway through last season.

Boston Public: It started losing me when, season after season, they'd bring a new teacher who was hotter than the hottie they bought in the year before. Does that make sense?

And since no one's mentioned it, threw in the towel on The Apprentie when it went the celebrity route. Watched it again when it went back to non-celebs, but about that time Trump was on his whole birther kick and I had determined he was a douche as a result.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sportscenter

And almost everything loses its fastball, and having a kid will seriously cut into your TV watching. That eliminates shows right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted