1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which team will Lebron choose?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 8, 2010.

?

Which team will Lebron James anoint as worthy of his talent?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2010.
  1. Da Bulls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Staying home in Cleveland

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Going back to Miami

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. The Knickerbockers

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Who gives a shit, it's the NBA

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Who gives a shit? He lost me with this dog-and-pony show.

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope he picks Oklahoma City.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

LeBron's going to make $30 million a year. ESPN makes millions a year. They can donate to charities without strong-arming advertisers into donating with a made-for-TV reality show.

I had no problem with him interviewing teams for his free agency, and if he had chosen to act like any other free agent in any other sport for the last 30 years, very few would have had a problem.

But if he doesn't pick Cleveland, this 'special' serves as nothing more than a slap in the face to millions of fans who cheered him, supported him, and bought his jerseys. Bad enough that they have to see their hero leave. But it's another thing to deal with getting spit in the face during the exit.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Prediction (if LeBron signs with Miami):

After starting the season 48-4, Heat drop games on back-to-back nights. Riley is coach the next morning.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How is it spitting in their faces?

I'm baffled by how a group that makes its living on people paying attention to sports are so annoyed that people want to pay attention to this. And make no mistake: People want to pay attention to it, and that's why there is a TV special.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Spitting on the franchise that just happened to have the ball pop up in their favor seven years ago. Boo hoo that hundreds of thousands of overgrown adolescents will have their feelings hurt when their "hero" leaves. Maybe they should learn some perspective and realize it's just entertainment.

6. RickStain

FYP

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Donating more can't be a bad thing, can it? And why would you care who strongarms Nike or Budweiser or General Mills?

In what way is tonight's hype worse than the NFL draft at Radio City Music Hall?

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Agreed. I have no problem with how he's conducted his free agency. My issue is the TV show aspect, if he's going to Miami or NY. Shitty move. If he's staying in Cleveland and using this "special" as a way to thank his fans and the city, that's pretty cool and classy. My fear is he's holding this in Cleveland so he can issue some kind parting words before he walks off the stage to a certain Will Smith song trumpeting his decision.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's not holding it in Cleveland. He's holding it in Connecticut.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Apologies for the snark. But why does it even matter whose idea it was? He's doing it.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sorry, you're right, Connecticut. But I still think the "special" is a very big national "FU" to Cleveland, if he leaves.

12. RickStain

To me, that's just sports fan entitlement. What does James owe Cleveland? Not a thing. Unless he announces that he's going back to Cleveland and then says "Psyche!", I can't imagine this being an insult to them.

Of course, the fans there are frustrated and will take anything he does as an insult. There was no right way for him to leave in their eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted