1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which team will Lebron choose?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 8, 2010.

?

Which team will Lebron James anoint as worthy of his talent?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2010.
  1. Da Bulls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Staying home in Cleveland

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Going back to Miami

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. The Knickerbockers

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Who gives a shit, it's the NBA

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Who gives a shit? He lost me with this dog-and-pony show.

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Washington (CNN) -- A Washington lawyer has filed a lawsuit in federal court, claiming he is the father of basketball star LeBron James.

Leicester Stovell alleges that the athlete and his family have been involved in a cover-up to deny paternity by committing fraud and misrepresentation.

In the complaint, filed June 23, Stovell says, "I recently have concluded that a comprehensive, sophisticated and well-funded effort might well have been underway for quite some time, perhaps beginning in its present form as early as when defendant LeBron James was in high school, to frustrate identification of his real father, and that there is a likelihood that the father in question is me."

The lawsuit claims Stovell met James' mother, Gloria, in a Washington bar and restaurant in 1984, where she was visiting from Ohio. She was 16 at the time, Stovell says, and they had sex only once.

He says he was informed by Gloria James months later that she was pregnant. He claims she told him the child would be named LeBron, similar to Leicester Bryce, Stovell's first and middle names.

Stovell says he has been trying for three years to establish paternity, and asks for unspecified millions of dollars in damages.

He is a solo legal practitioner in the District of Columbia, and filed the lawsuit on his own behalf.

A call to LeBron James' attorney, Frederick Nance of Cleveland, Ohio, was not immediately returned.

The lawsuit had been filed without much initial publicity, but was reported by the TMZ celebrity website Wednesday.

Public records show Stovell is a former government attorney with the Securities and Exchange Commission. He filed a lawsuit in 2002 against the agency, alleging racial discrimination. Federal court records show the case was settled when the commission paid him $230,000, while not admitting fault.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't being a Knicks fan turn you off to the NBA as it is? And Slaps, you forgot Mini-Ditka!!!

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How does James "set up" a television special by himself? ESPN had to help a little, didn't it? And what about the several million dollars it raises for charity?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why? He's the sole proprietor of a big, big business - and that business is him. As they say in advertising, he's building his brand. He wants to be an international superstar, a billionaire. This free agency was an opportunity to elevate that brand, to increase his crossover appeal. The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with it.

I don't understand the reflexive disgust people have for entertainers being ... entertainers. He's not a selfish player whatsoever, when he's on the floor. Where it matters.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yes, you're right. LeBron was just a pawn in creating the special this evening. The charity point, however, is the one good thing about this.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ian Hunter weeps....

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's entertaining; I'm certainly curious. I don't understand how anyone can look at this situation, however, and not see the self-indulgence involved here. I understand that it's a business, and I get that he's a brand. But the brand changed, for me, based on the way he's conducting himself right now. If he elects to stay in Cleveland, I'll understand this "special" more. But I don't think he will. Agree to disagree, I guess.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Save the snark. I never said he was a pawn - but why would you think the idea was entirely his?

9. Dick Whitman

I think that if he held the special to announce he was staying in Cleveland I would have little problem with it at all. I think it is slightly distasteful to hold it to announce he's heading to South Beach to party with Wade and Bosh.

Does it make me roll my eyes a little bit? Sure. But up to this point - the television special - I have had absolutely no problem with the way he's conducted his free agency. Would you agree? Is the only issue the TV show?

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, if it is Miami, it either shows what a prima Bronna he is or he has no flair for the dramatic.

If it is Miami, then he whiffed on letting the other two announce earlier and waiting for a solo stage to hog the spotlight for himself.

He could have made the announcement by being joined by Wade on camera, and Dwayne welcoming him to Miami. Then, they both could have brought Bosh on set.

If it's Miami, Lebron is throwing the TV equivalent of a prime time airball. Hell, the SportsCenter commercials guys could have come up with much better.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I loved the Medici meets modern times aspect of teams coming to kiss his (nonexistent title) ring. Did seem pretentious, on the other hand

12. Dick Whitman

Why would he do that? He wants to be the centerpiece of the budding Heat dynasty. This is his way of establishing himself as such, particularly since Wade will probably be the leading scorer. Why would he, if he's conscious about his image, elect to give off the vibe that he is just an equal player in an ensemble cast?

Draft saved Draft deleted