1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which system is better: NFL or Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 30, 2006.

?

Which sport's financial setup protects its fans and competitive balance better, NFL or MLB?

1. NFL

34 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. MLB

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Stole the bosses' radio, just in time for the good stuff.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

These complaints are soooooo common.

But if you'll go back through history to see where high-priced veterans (Doyle Alexander, Glenn Davis, Frank Viola, etc.) were traded for "prospects" . . . you'll find a great number of these prospects turned out to be MUCH better than the usually-in-decline "stars" they were traded for.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Boxscore won't tell the true story of the game. Twins were dominated for seven innings.

Couple errors, a balk and then some timely hitting by the Twinkies helped them score six in the eighth.

Although it shouldn't have come down to that, the Tigers have stranded 11 runners.

But then, if you had told me on Friday afternoon that the Tigers would sweep, I would have called you crazy.

On the bright side, White Sox choked one off in the ninth, giving up two runs to Baltimore in the bottom of the ninth.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It happens a number of times.

And if, as a small-market team, you can cash in on the first four years of said prospect blowing up and get about four other young guys doing the same, by winning the WS, your team has emerged from the hundreds and hundreds of carcasses of tiny-payroll teams that had no chance.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Christ I thought it was one of Hoffman's worst movies ever....

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mine gave The Skulls one-half of a star, but gave Skulls 3 two stars. It also gave Shawshank three stars. I don't trust their ratings at all.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, Skulls sucked only slightly less than you.

And Shawshank was a hell of a movie.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just keep using broad rationalizations there Pube so that your point is always the correct one. God, I love football and think it is better than baseball but your idiocy makes your point moot.

9. Fubar

Fubar Member

All hail Lord football.

Pube, what do you want people who enjoy baseball to say?

You're comparing apples and oranges... Yeah, they're the same fruit, but they're entirely different in texture and flavor. Some folks like apples more, some like oranges more.

Go love your NFL. Jack off to pictures of Shaun King if it'll make you feel better.

Of course the whole teams not making the playoffs number in the NFL is lower. There are more post-season tickets available to be punched in the NFL.

I just don't understand why folks feel the need to put leagues up against each other to determine which league is supreme. Does it really make a difference? Enjoy what you want... Live your fucking life, and feel entirely free to tune baseball out if you don't like the way things turn out for you and whatever team you decide to follow. Are you going to feel better about yourself if everyone agrees with you that the NFL is the awesomest sports league in the whole wide world?

Baseball players may get traded, but football players get cut due to salary cap concerns. Big fucking deal. The Yankees still might not make the playoffs.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I haven't heard any of you guys make a point as to HOW baseball's system works.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That places like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Toronto, Colorado, Tampa Bay.... are at a severe disadvantage against teams that spend $150 million or more on payroll.

Whatever success they have is an exceptional circumstance.

Fuck ... I love baseball, too.

But I would be so pissed if I were a fan from the areas I mentioned above.

Their teams are 0/00 on the roulette wheel.

12. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

don't forget Oakland, Minnesota and Florida

Draft saved Draft deleted