1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state will be the last to legalize pot?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That information about Tennessee have 91 of 95 counties is grossly inaccurate. My county and the five adjacent counties are all wide open and have been for some time. Even if I didn't know anything about the rest of the state, that alone would make the math wrong. Locally, we couldn't buy beer on Sundays until 95 or 96. That's when Applebee's came to town, and it was a condition for them before construction began.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Quite possible. One thing I know is that money will win out over morality every time. I remember when I was in Nashville drinking and the bartender mentioned the blue laws, one was that no alcohol could be sold on Sundays. Well, when the Titans came to town and managed to carve out an exception.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You would think that, but I think you would be wrong. Mississippi's liquor laws before 1966 (when the statewide prohibition was ended) amounted to a quasi-legal racket, with officials at every level of government and law enforcement looking the other way (for a healthy fee, of course) while bonded liquor was sold out the back doors of certain establishments. It was a weird and thoroughly corrupt setup where the state took in tax dollars on something that was theoretically illegal.

That, rather than any prudishness over alcohol (trust me, people here LOVE their booze), was the reason it took so long to end the statewide prohibition. The system in place was so lucrative for state officials that they were reluctant to kill what was a golden goose lining their pockets.

Remember, also, that Ole Miss houses (at least I believe it still does) that nation's only legal pot farm. BTW, Mississippi has county/municipal option, where liquor can be sold within the city limits of towns that vote to do so, while the surrounding county remains dry.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Last state to legalize? I'm guessing Kansas.

5. printit

printit Member

No way KY is last. Pot was (is) the biggest cash crop in KY. KY has a Senator who has all but said he is for it. KY won't take the lead on it, but look for them to be closer to the front than the back of this line.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No one dies from smoking weed.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You fell into his false premise trap.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Arrogance, for starters. Stoners who realize they are stoners are proud of it. Drunks who realize they're drunks are ashamed of it.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure that smoke is special and very good for the lungs. ::)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090805110741.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Christopher Lane did:

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which was it, the pot or his skin tone? Or do you think Reefer Madness was a documentary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.