1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state will be the last to legalize pot?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's three years old, but this infographic has Tennessee with the largest percentage of dry counties. But as it states, some cities within the dry counties are wet - which I guess makes the county moist.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-06-30-dry-counties_N.htm

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Mississippi was the last to repeal statewide prohibition.
    I think that's a fair guess.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Strange that in a time where the big-government nannies want to eliminate the smoking of tobacco, a huge segment of that same crowd wants to promote the smoking of something else.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You mean your crowd?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I'd guess Mississippi. Didn't they just get around to ratifying the 13th amendment in 1995?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What will Bloomberg do? maybe limit it to 1 dime bag per day with a small bag of doritos and a 16 oz soda.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Utah or somewhere in the deep south...

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't think it will be a state in the deep South - if a bandwagon toward legalization starts, I think some Southern states will go along because there would be a significant number of people who would see government expenses reduced. I also don't know that young people are that different than other young people when it come to legalizaing marijuana.

Western states probably would go with legalization - New Mexico elected a governor who favored legalized marijuana. I think a process of elimination would make Utah the answer - not only is it a conservative state, but it also seems to be a health-conscious state.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Any state with a local option has a crazy-quilt system. Right in the middle of it, Oklahoma may be the only state without a local option. The whole state is wet.

Texas is the most confusing of all. Counties may vote one way and cities (and even separate precincts) another, which means you can have hard-liquor enclaves entirely within a dry jurisdiction. And I've been to states that had numerous putatively dry areas but had a large number of "private" "clubs." Some of these "clubs" were chain restaurants.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Utah has a huge natural supplements industry, if they can make some coin of cannabis-based supplements - it will happen.
    I'd guess West Virginia, maybe Kentucky or North Carolina in a bid to protect their tobacco industry.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is marijuana really going to be competition for tobacco? I'd thnk it's more likely what mysterymeat said - big tobacco will find a way to capitalize if marijuana is legal everywhere.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Don't rule out Idaho. A chief of police once told me off the record that a sizable group of elected officials (mostly GOP) would love to do it to take the strain off the criminal justice system. Of course, no one is going to say it on the record because it'll scare off the voters.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. If people want it bad enough, they'll find a way to get it. Besides, I don't see how stoners are any worse than drunks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.