1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state will be the last to legalize pot?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It'll be the last state that realizes it can receive more tax revenue from pot smokers than the total tax revenue it spends incarcerating them.

I'm guessing Oklahoma.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Unless the Mormons change their minds about mind-altering substances, I'll go Utah.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Utah.

But I think a lot of states are waiting for others to take the lead, to see what works and what doesn't before there is more implementation. I think it will come slower than many think.

Colorado is having a hard time trying to find the "right" percentage to tax. Tax too little, it's a money loser for the state/city. Tax too much, and it just goes underground, where it's been.

There's a measure on the ballot for November for the state to tax (15 percent excise tax, 10 percent sales tax). But then each city is adding a tax. And many cities are opting out of allowing it (as is allowed; there will be fewer than 20 that allow it). There was a measure in the city and county of Denver to limit shops to no closer than 2,500 feet of schools, churches, playgrounds, etc., which basically eliminated 98 percent of the city. It was rejected, and it wants an additional 5 percent tax to enforce things.

Not as easy as everyone thought it would be. People have been getting it underground for years. Why not keep it there and avoid the 30 percent-plus in taxes?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Problem is that them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong.

5. Football_Bat

Just take existing alcohol laws and replace "alcohol" with "marijuana." Tax it a similar amount.

Bada boom, bada bing. Too fucking easy.

You don't see bootleggers these days except on bad reality TV, or (more to my experience) in places that are dry or don't sell on Sundays.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My first guess was Utah, but I think they ended statewide alcohol prohibition before Mississippi. You never know.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Whichever state it is will see a boom of businesses moving their headquarters there to take advantage of a non-lazy workforce.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think Utah's approval gave the necessary states to repeal the amendment.

And it's fascinating to look back at history -- even within the past century -- to see how trends/demographics change and you go, "Really? That happened?" That it's something you wouldn't think would be the case today.

Such as, FDR won four presidential elections -- and not once did he carry Vermont.

9. Football_Bat

Some trains never run late.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which state has the highest-percentage of dry counties in 2013? That's your answer.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not that fucking easy, and here's why:

Decriminalizing and then heavily taxing marijuana work at cross purposes if the intent is to end the war on drugs. The local growers and dealers are used to working outside the law; surely they won't line up to have their product taxed. They can up the price of their pot while still undercutting the legal, taxed stuff. Sure, new and casual users won't bother with finding a dealer and just pick up a pack of blunts at the convenience store (which they'll be getting from Philip Morris or RJ Reynolds, since they'll have a huge distribution advantage in the 7-11/supermarket supply circles and almost certainly have production and marketing plans all queued up and ready to roll at first contact with national decriminalization).

But users are going to want to find the best price (and may also be aghast at supporting Big Tobacco). And with the legal barrier down, the taboo will fade. Between word of mouth and crowdsourcing, it'll be easier than ever to find a contact. Pay 10 bucks from the guy peddling out of his mom's basement or 20 bucks for Marlboro Marijuana or Camelbis?

In short, the dealers getting busted for narcotics today will be the ones getting busted for tax evasion down the line.

That's not to argue for or against decriminalization -- I'm for it, but mostly because I don't especially care what you do with your body so long as it doesn't directly hurt someone else. But this idea that it's going to somehow end the War on Drugs or make major strides in that direction is probably a little simple to be true.

Also, moonshiners still get busted. It's not an everyday occurrence, but it'll happen when someone tries to skirt taxes. Plus it takes an awful lot less effort to produce enough marijuana to be a going concern, compared to alcohol or cigarettes (though it's worth mentioning that cigarette trafficking to high-tax areas such as New York and Canada is a problem for law enforcement).

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll guess Kentucky has the most dry counties.

But Utah has some pretty fucked-up liquor laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.