1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state has the worst drivers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 27, 2008.

?

Which state has the worst drivers?

1. Illinois (correct answer)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Anywhere else (wrong answer)

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I lived in Miami for four years -- if there are places with worse drivers, I'd hate to see them.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I blame NASCAR.

3. I don't know about the rest of Illinois, but Chicago drivers are 10x worse than New York City. I live in Chicago and used to live in NYC. They are terrible, and I don't mean to make it racial thing, but it's mostly the minorities. I think I can get away with saying that cause I'm Hispanic. But seriously, most of the times I've been cut off or something similar it's when I'm driving on the West and South Sides of the city. Never fails, though I've run into some idiots on the North Side and the burbs.

And very little drivers here, regardless of race, pay much attention to bikers. They drive in bike lanes, open up passenger side doors in bike way, don't recognize the right of way for bikers, etc. It's a disaster.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

South Carolina

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Several states can lay claim to worst drivers, but I'll give Ohio the award for State Troopers from Hell.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ohio's are worse, esp. in the Southern half of the state. Yowzers!

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Texas drivers are awful.
    I've never seen so many people run blatant red lights, pull out in front of you on highways when you are going 65 or drag racing in populated areas.
    My sister said Kansas City drivers are pretty terrible as well.

9. Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas.

I-635 in Dallas, I-10 in Houston, I-35 in Austin ... take your pick. Each one is part of the circles of Hell.

I've never been to Illinois, so I couldn't offer an opinion there. New York City was awful ... cab drivers are total maniacs, but overall, Texas wins by a mile. It could sprinkle for six seconds and traffic will come to a complete halt. It's like they've never seen rain before.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's a limited statistical sample, but I would vote for Texas based on personal experience.

11. tommyp

tommyp Member

This is the first I heard of the Virginia legislation, and I gave thanks.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's not precise, but I would guess poor driving leads to accidents. And the more accidents occur in your state, the higher insurance premiums would tend to be.

And so, the list of the top five states by average insurance premium from a survey by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The figures were taken for the duration of 2005, but it doesn't say if it was for a 6-month or year spell: New Jersey $1,184, New York $1,122, Massachusetts $1,113, Louisiana $1,076, Florida $1,063.

Draft saved Draft deleted