1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state do you think of when you think of pine trees?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Mar 17, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm going to say Virginia because the ones we have here bend back and forth in the wind. I have never seen a tree do that before.

And when I mean bend, I mean a 15-20 degree tilt. It freeked me out the first time I saw it.

I'm sure other states have better pine tree history, though.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Florida, only because my father has planted about 100 in the front yard.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pines trees are evergreens. Not all evergreens are pines.

From treehelp.com:

Nonetheless, I think Georgia when I think pines. But I've spent the vast majority of my time there.

4. sostartled

sostartled Member

Maine is "The Pine Tree State." Its state flower is the while pine cone and tassel. I'm gonna go with Maine.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/kids/about/symbols/tree.htm

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, since Texas is home to the Piney Woods and the Lost Pines ... and Pine Tree High School ... dammit, now I'm pining for the pines.

(Not the fjords ... the pines.)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh, and if it's got needles that all drop off in the fall, it's probably a cypress. Lots of them down there, too.

7. Maine - because I grew up reading Stephen King.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Georgia. I can't escape the pine trees here. The warming weather is also a reminder that soon the pollen from these sapping demons will turn everything in sight a nasty shade of yellowish green. You won't be able to touch a single thing outside without getting covered in the fine, powdery substance. Think the rain will wash it away? Think again. It might cut it down a little bit, but the stuff sticks to everything with a vengeance. What does manage to wash away floats on top of the water, just waiting to settle in large quantities when the water stops flowing. These are not my favorite trees, yet they are everywhere, just waiting for their spring attack on everything in sight.

Oh and then there's Gone With the Wind. You know, Scarlett is going to stay behind and make some money by selling the pines on Tara for wood to rebuild Atlanta after it was burned to the ground. That's alot of damn pines.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mississippi, from Jackson to the Coast. Nothing but pines.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If I walk out my door, across the driveway, and up the hill behind the house, I'd be walking through pine forest for the next 20 miles.

Welcome to northern Pennsylvania.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think of the Pine Tree State, which is, uh, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm -- well, I bet it's mentioned in here somewhere.

12. North Carolina. No question, North Carolina.

Draft saved Draft deleted