1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state do you think of when you think of pine trees?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

SONUVABITCH.

2. KG

KG Active Member

That's extra points, so Georgia wins.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Right you are, Inky.

The 7th-12th yearbook for my alma mater is called "The Pine Burr." The K-6th version is known as "The Little Pine Burr."

A neighboring Class A school calls its yearbook "The Loblolly."

And as Football_Bat pointed out, there is a Pine Tree High School, and it was/is hated by pretty much everybody near it for its students' traditionally snobby demeanor. (We pretty much blew them out in football and baseball every year when we were still 4A.) Pine Knoll Apartments are in the heart of Pine Tree ISD. But if you want to go to the Carmike theater across town from Pine Tree High School, you have to go to Tall Pines Road.

And don't forget nearby Lake O' the Pines and Caddo Lake, which straddles the Texas-Louisiana line, is Texas' only natural lake, and provides plenty of the aforementioned pines and cypresses. (Big Pines Lodge is a hidden catfish restaurant on the banks of Caddo., but not as good as the deceased Bayou Landing down the road. Both call Uncertain, TX, home. It's near Karnack.)

Don't forget the song "East Texas Pines," by Longview native Sunny Sweeney. She's good to listen to and look at.

Pine needles can wreak havoc on your yard, but as someone pointed out, sweet gums are worse. My parents have two triple-trunked and three double-trunked sweet gums in their yard, along with two pines, three magnolias, a couple oaks, a pecan, and a dogwood.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I always thought Colorado, until I moved to South Carolina, where the sea pines are aplenty.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That was THE BEST cover version, but I had it on cassette (long ago) and I can't find it anywhere now. So I settled for a Grant Lee Phillips cover that is pretty good.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted