1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sports sections are using the web best?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Good call on naming some small-to-mid papers.

The Northwest Herald in Crystal Lake, Ill., does a phenomenal job on preps with McHenryCountySports.com

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Was actually thinking bigger picture. Because right now, you go to most of those sites ones in the morning, and there's no need to return for the remainder of the day. You'll spend the rest of the day trolling the major sites or blogs.

Don't people think at some point, you want to make your paper's website's a destination? Something you come back to 3-4-5 times a day?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not to threadjack (as I threadjack...), but I'm curious about at what point becoming a "web destination" cannibalizes the print product. I just don't understand putting every bylined story on the 'net practically before the paper is off the press. Magazines like SI, ESPN and others either don't run certain stories online or delay them for a few days to a week, allowing people who actually PAY for the product to get it first.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Can you give me an example of a news story - not a feature - ESPN or SI has held for a few days to a week?

And online, you don't need to put the entire story on the web - maybe a few grafs with an explanation that a fuller version will appear in tomorrow's paper/web.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reilly's column isn't always immediately up on SI.com, I know that.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, but you're quoting a best-case scenario there. I know of plenty of papers that put the entire story -- and ALL of them -- up on the Web before the print product hits the doorstep.

So, like play asked, how does that not have an adverse affect on the newspaper?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

First, I was talking about "breaking" news stories during the day. Second, Rick Reilly's column is not news; it is a feature. Third, I think people in the newspaper business better realize it is not just about the paper anymore ... online + print are partners in the same company and the way news is delivered has changed and is continually changing. And no matter how each paper does it, I agree with what the online editor of the Globe & Mail said:

"And regardless of how and when we break stories, I continue to believe that some readers want their news on printed paper and some want it on a screen. We will continue to deliver both for a good long time."

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

The Fayetteville Observer in North Carolina does a pretty good job too for a paper its size.

Draft saved Draft deleted