1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sports sections are using the web best?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Mar 7, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

We had a post about this today and it generated some discussion ... clearly, the Washington Post.com is doing a good job. Who isn't?
    What papers need to beef up their website?
    How should they do so?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

WP has been the leader in this regard for a long time.

Others are starting to catch up a little, but they won't get to that level for a while.

Given all the talk about the L.A. Times remaking its web presence, that'll be interesting to watch.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I've become a fan of the Milwaukee JS’s Web site, jsonline, they seem to do a pretty good job, especially with their Packers coverage (which is what every red-blooded Wisconsinite wants anyway). As far as bad sites, I grew up in Cleveland and the Plain-Dealer's site always ticked me off. It always seemed harder to navigate than it should be and had no visual appeal.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

One of the openings on the job board exposed a pretty darn good website for the Naples News in Florida (no, I'm not. Wish I was.) Lots of new-media stuff without being ridiculous.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

SF - Why do you think the WP has been the leader?

What can the other big papers - Chicagos, Miami, Bostons, etc - do to catch up?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My local paper (major metro) sends a daily e-mail newsletter for several of its sections including sports, it's in your inbox when you wake up. It has web links to every story in those sections. It's handy -- and makes the print product completely useless, so much so that I am thisclose to changing my subscription from daily to weekend-only.

Someone tell me how that is good business for the paper.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I getthe AJC's e-mails for sports and the Braves coverage.
    It is so good that if I dropped my daily paper, I would still be caught up on the sports news in the South and Nation.
    But I wouldn't get local news or sports and I still need that.

8. The Star-Tribune website does a great job with updating information daily. I like how they get their sports stories for the next day's paper by 12:30 a.m. eastern.

The writers (Lavelle E. Neal and Mike Russo) do a good job in giving their thoughts on the game when they write their blogs up.

9. Actually, the Chicago Tribune, which runs ChicagoSports.com, does a pretty damned good job of posting breaking news, getting the Trib's stories up in a timely manner, and with blogs and in-game chats. I don't live anywhere near Chicago anymore, but I still visit the site several times each day.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Strib site is pretty good; Freep site is fucking awful since they retooled it. Internally, editors give it an F-.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Globe and Mail. Much of its next-day content is on-line by 11 p.m. (Eastern).

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

For a mid-to-small paper, the Topeka Capital-Journal's sports web site ain't bad.

www.cjonline.com

Draft saved Draft deleted