1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport team do you prefer....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 4, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

San Francisco Giants. As bad as this summer is expected to be, I'll still watch it listen every chance I get. Compare with my indifference to watching the struggles of the Warriors and the Sharks (and wanting to learn more about hockey as well). I enjoy football in season, but can't work up two fucks about the combine, draft, minicamps, ect. But baseball is there every day.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’ve had teams I cheer for wins SBs, Stanley Cups, NCAAs, NBA final and even do a Final Four run... It’s football with college hoops a close second.

Maybe the lose and go home nature of the other two make it more exciting for me? Maybe? Maybe it’s the anticipation of the next game building? Dunno...

I have never experienced a legit NCAA football run under the new system, but I’m guessing that it’s equally enjoyable.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

San Francisco Giants tops for me. But I’m a Bay Area guy who roots for both San Francisco and Oakland teams. In the NBA, it’s the Celtics but that even has a Bay Area connection. My parents went to high school with Bill Russell’s first wife.

In the NCAA, of course it’s the Tar Heels. That’s a good thing in basketball, though not this season.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Phillies are the team I root for and follow. Eagles a well-beaten second in that regard. Naturally I follow all the Boston teams, but living here I can hardly avoid that. That doesn't mean I root for them, just that I have more information on them.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's funny. I used to get a kick out of spring training, because it meant baseball and summer were on the way. Even though my team, the White Sox, usually sucked, I always associated baseball with summer, a great time of the year. And part of the charm of fall was postseason baseball, even if my team wasn't involved. It was fun to watch the best in the game square off.

Even in the 1990s, when I was in my 20s and literally didn't own a TV for several years, I would find my way into a sports bar or visit friends to watch the MLB playoffs. I distinctly remember the cool moment of Joe Carter's home run sailing out of the stadium as people went crazy in the Airliner, an Iowa City bar.

Fast forward to the 2010s (and now 2020), and baseball's no longer part of my leisure time. Haven't attended a MLB game since 2010, never watch games on TV, and rarely tune in on the radio any more (if so, it's just as background noise).

It takes an effort for me to watch even the MLB playoffs — in large part because I don't have cable TV, and I'll be damned if I pay those parasites at MLB.TV one dime of my money. The only playoffs on "free" TV are the World Series, and between the length of games and not following the season/playoff series much, the interest just isn't there.

So to answer the question: After football season ends, I follow college basketball through the NCAA tournament, and watch the majors in golf and (occasionally) tennis. That's it anymore.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

U.S. Ryder Cup team. That's about all I cheer for anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted