1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport is the most difficult to master?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. I didn't mean to imply a hitter is scoping out where the players are and not trying to hit it to them. I simply meant that, to be successful, you do have to avoid those players.

Although I am a big believer in situational hitting.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

It is clearly Baseball, any one saying something to the contrary has never played baseball.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's not baseball, and I played from T-Ball up until college. Next.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've played baseball (until I was kicked off the Little League team for being a girl) and softball. Hockey was far more difficult than either, mostly because I'm a gawdawful skater.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

This is a good debate, but I don't think it's possible for everyone to come to some consensus. I think the biggest reason for that is we all have our own biases, or at least I do. Some sports come easier to me than others, so obviously I don't find those as difficult. I've hardly ever been on skates so I can't even comment on hockey. Each person's opinion is going to be shaped, at least to some degree, on their personal experiences. The what's harder hitting a golf ball/baseball topic has been around for ages, and I'm not sure anyone has really come up with a definitive answer, other than neither one is very easy for entirely different reasons.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

How about this:

Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing to do in sports.

Hockey players are the toughest athletes.

Basketball players are the most athletic.

Football players are the smartest. Stop. Think about it. Think about those play books and huddle-speak.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Uh, no. Football players have the best memorization skills.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was thinking that as I typed it Mert.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

3 out of 10 shots in hockey would be a terribly good percentage.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Good point.

Guys can have four to six shots and be on the losing team in a 2-0 loss and can be said to have had a good game.

11. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Great topic!

If people are throwing Baseball up there and the ability to hit the fastball etc as difficult then you have to throw cricket in there too as facing bowlers bowling 90+mph on wickets of variable bounce from just 22ft away from the batsmen is a very very tough prospect I can assure you. The decision making, the technique, the shot selection, the hand eye coordination can not be underestimated.

In terms of individual sports I can not believe that tennis or squash are not getting stronger backing. Golfers can continue to develop for years and have probably the longest prime in terms of career ability. Someone can take up golf in their 30's having stopped playing a more physically demanding sport and develop themselves to a very high standard with enough practice.

In terms of technique, timing, speed, power and endurance tennis combines physical and technical skills that golf frankly fails to compare to.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The rule in hockey, at least according to the players on the hockey team I cover, is that 1 out of every 7 legit shots on goal should result in a goal. Of course, that's on the college hockey level. I'm not sure how that translates to the NHL.

Draft saved Draft deleted