1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport is the most difficult to master?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I have to go with baseball. When you fail 7/10 times and you're great, that's a tough sport.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Actually, you don't have anywhere close to that much time to make that decision. A 90mph fastball will travel 60'6" in 0.46 seconds. It took Ted Williams .25 of a second to swing the bat. So even the guys with the quickest bat speed will have .21 seconds max to make up their minds.

3. LOL You're a pitcher and you don't even think pitchers are players.

(Kidding, of course :) )

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I heard it was sportfucking in the infield at Daytona. Its hard to perform with a lot of people watching.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I played HS baseball and am an avid golfer, and I'll tell you that even as an above average hitter and probably an above average golfer for how much time I put into it, baseball was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Sure golf is hard, but when you're in the batter's box, you know that the pitcher has a much better chance of getting you out than you do of getting a hit. To add to that, you have to adjust to the pitch type, and against the best pitchers, that's tough. 90 MPH fastball or 75 MPH curve?

And for those who say golf is tougher because you have to focus on a certain area, I introduce you to situational hitting. Try keeping your hands back and slapping a ball to the right side consistently. Or knowing you need to get a ball into the air to score a runner from third. Or dropping down the perfect bunt for a basehit.

Golf is hard as hell--and it takes a ton of time. But, IMO, becoming a great hitter, like an Albert Pujols type, is the hardest thing to do in sports.

The hardest thing about golf is all of the down time. It's not like baseball where you just kind of go in the box and hit the ball, you have to walk to the ball, focus on your shot, all of that. The one thing I thought was easier about baseball was that if I fucked up once, struck out or something, I could go back to the dugout and sit there for an inning or two and start with a clean slate. In golf, if you fuck anything up, you have to go deal with that shit.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Hockey, Golf and how about auto racing? Sure, we can all drive our cars, but can you drive at a high rate of speed for that long without crashing?

7. Junky,

I wasn't counting the catcher, because hitters aren't trying to avoid them when hitting the ball — they're in foul territory.

8. Sea Bass,

I was a soft-tossing lefty, so I guess hitters had more time against me. :)

I'll gladly acquiese (sp?) to your numbers.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I was a pretty good baseball player -- never a great hitter -- but I honestly must say I never thought about trying to hit the ball where none of the eight players were. Of course some times the situation would call for trying to hit a fly ball or hit a grounder through the hole on a hit-and-run, but when I was up with no one on I never tried to hit the ball anywhere. My only focus was on hitting it as hard as I could. Is that unusual? Do people actually try to hit the ball to certain spots? I have to believe that when Albert Pujols hits one to the third deck in left center field he wasn't necessarily trying to put it there, but rather to just hit the ball as hard and far as possible.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Boobie...it depends.

I played on a team that played a lot of small ball, so a lot of our "offense" was based on situational hitting. We manufactured runs to get ahead and then let loose later. On hit and runs, placing the ball is a must.

Situational hitting is a big part of baseball. You can't go up there and just hack at it every time, or else you're not going to do the job a lot of times. Baseball is a very complicated game, and so is hitting the damn ball.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial, man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, outside of soccer.

[/Loki]

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I understand situational hitting. I'm saying that people are talking about hitting the ball where the 8 players is a challenge, but to me it isn't something most hitters are concerned with no one on. I think golf is tougher, but that may well be that I'm naturally better at baseball and have played it my whole life, whereas golf I've only picked up in the last few years and haven't played near as much as I did baserball growing up so I've had a much tougher time. That said, I don't discount how difficult hitting a baseball is. I was solid, but certainly never "mastered" it. It's 1 and 1-A to me in terms of difficulty, although I can't speak to hockey because I've never played.

Draft saved Draft deleted