1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport is the most difficult to master?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ninja Warrior.

Dakar Rally.

2. Maybe this isn't the same thing, but I've often wondered what big-league sport I could step into the easiest without making an ass of myself. I think baseball would be the easiest, because I could play the fielding half of the game with some competence and maybe get my bat on a ball or two.

I think hockey would be the hardest, and I'm not even that bad of a skater. They're incredible. Golf is such a technical game; I'm amazed at their consistency. I think football would be hard, just because of the level of physicality. Basketball would be the same, maybe a little less difficult.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think that's a good way to look at it.

One thing with hockey, If you don't state learning to skate early in life it becomes almost impossible to catch up. Other sports you can make up the lost ground. Hockey does have a point where game can pass you buy if you have aspirations to paly at an elite level.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Water polo always seemed pretty tough...just having to stay above water and simultaneously toss a wet ball around doesn't look easy. This kinda goes with hockey...any sport involving something slippery should be tougher. Lacrosse and hockey aren't too different, except hockey players have to do it on ice.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

More fuel for the "who's better, Federer or Woods?" argument.

I like it. Keep it coming. ;)

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

I played adult baseball with former pro hockey (defenseman and goon) and pro football players (linebacker and runningback/receiver. They all thought that not only was baseball more difficult, but when we were playing our fifth game in a week with the weather in the 90s, more grueling and harder on the body.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Didn't somebody say. comparing golf to baseball, was that in golf you have to play the foul balls?
    Does anybody disagree that bowling is probably the easiest to master?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

true, boom, you can take up golf at any age. but i'm not sure hockey is the only sport you can't pick up late in life. baseball fundamentals - especially hitting - don't just happen. the middle age guy who joins the rec baseball league will never catch up to his teammates who have been playing since little league, even if only on a strictly amateur level.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. Golf (Secretariat)
    T2. all the others

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hitting a baseball at the pro level would be very difficult. I don't think fielding would be that easy too because the ball would be leaving the bat a whole lot faster than you're used to and your average infielder can throw a lot better than a beer league Mike Schmidt-wannabe.

As others have pointed out, the skating ability required to play hockey is unique among team sports. But you also need the co-ordination to stickhandle, give and receive passes and shoot while there are bodies crashing into you. Never been a goalie at any level but i think it takes plenty out of you just getting up after hitting the ice.

Boxing is no piece of cake either.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I will go out on a limb and say that playing goal is the most difficult position of any team sport.
    And yes, that includes quarterback.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No way.

Quarterbacks get hit on their blindsides by 300-pound linemen who run 4.8 40s.

There is nothing that approximates, in the relative fluff world of sports, the courage required to drop back to pass and wait for a guy to get open.

Draft saved Draft deleted