1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport has the worst fans?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Michael, that is a function of keeping the team hypercompetitive.
    The dumpy teams of the 90s matched the ballpark.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's the twist. The theme park was my idea, or at least an idea I offered support for. When the Henry-Werner group bought the team, they had an off the record meeting with the media. I missed it due to a doctor's appointment. They'd thought I'd snorted them, so had another meeting just for me. At it, I told them that Fenway was the real star of the franchise and they should treat it as such. They have and it works.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

I agree it is. The Dodgers should say the same of Dodger Stadium.
    The Red Sox ownership didn't appear to take it to heart when they said the 2008-10 teams were not exciting - reflected in NESN ratings, probably not at the gate.
    And then they tried to build a superteam through free agency and trade routes that blew up in their faces and which the fans seemed to like even less.
    Francona goes into all of this in the Shaughnessy book.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. Has happened to me a few times. Perhaps it's more a reflection of the company I keep.

EDIT: Responded to the wrong post before. Which might have been confusing for @Huggy

5. Michael_ Gee

Sale, Price and Martinez didn't exactly come cheap now. But they've got 25 guys in the zone. If you're going to charge outrageous prices, you'd better offer a good show.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Michael-
    At least the Yankees are nakedly honest about their ambitions.
    Sure, they want to make money, but they know they don't need to work hard to do it - nor do the Red Sox.
    The Yankees would never sell pony rides to try to buttress revenues, which is what the Henry-Werner group has done at times.

7. Michael_ Gee

The Sox have real competition for revenue from the Pats in things like local sponsorships, because Bob Kraft has done a terrific job of inserting the franchise into the extremely provincial (no more than new York) business network. Not a problem for the Yanks.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

I did not think the business relationship between the Patriots and Red Sox was that competitive.
    They're marketing to a region, there is enough to go around.

9. Michael_ Gee

Yes, there is, and of course they both do well. Bu bob Kraft is one of those odd ducks who was a big Pats fan from the jump. When I first moved to Boston in 1974, and hell, when I first got a daily beat job with the team in 1987, the Pats were a resounding fourth of the four pro teams. I am sure he has that in the back of his mind and wants the Pats do always outdo the Sox.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A visit to a Buffalo Wild Wings on a UFC PPV night will end this discussion.

tapintoamerica and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted