1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport has the worst fans?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yep. Went to a Raiders game with my dad at Coliseum in ‘95. They blew a 28-17 lead to Broncos. The black hole was in full meltdown after the game. Dad needed to use the bathroom but I suggested we leave the stadium first.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

At Giants games, the crowds were always less rambunctious, but many Giants fans have been following the team for years and are into the game. Had a great uncle who had season tix with a couple buddies since Giants Stadium opened. It seems the Jets games most fans are 35 and younger. It seems the Jets fans get into their 40s and decide to stay home and drink a case on the couch and curse at the TV, rather than go to the stadium and get fired up.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've seen them go apeshit at Generals games.
    Giants fans nearly got a game forfeited in the '90s with a snowball show in one of the old nationally televised Saturday games.
    There was just something about the old Meadowlands that brought it out in people.

4. cjericho

Was at that game. It was not forfeited. The Giants lost to the Chargers and lot of people got ejected and arrested.
    The referee said if it didn't stop it would be a forfeit, but it was not a forfeit. That was the last game of the season
    and there were probably less than 30% of the season ticket holders in the stadium. Went with 5 buddies and my one
    buddy's dad had season tix. That night and think the following morning they paid people
    to shovel because it was a Saturday game and the Jets were playing on Sunday. For the Jets game
    there was pretty much no snow left in the stands.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

cjericho-
    I remember the game very clearly.
    They threw them on the field and at the players and coaches and disrupted the game bigtime.
    Wasn't an isolated thing either, I saw more than a few snowball fights in the stands at Jets and Giants games.
    It was a big deal at the time - the Giants sucked out loud but the Chargers and other AFC teams had a lot riding on the game.
    It was a few days before Christmas, the game was nationally televised and the officials were just not going to suffer fools that day.

6. cjericho

My fault, you said "nearly" a forfeit

Snowballs at Giants Stadium, and Then Arrests

Pretty sure they haven't left any snow in the stands since that game, unless it's when it has snowed during the game.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Read again. I said it was nearly forfeited.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You though a Hooters in Vegas would be a feast for the eyes? Good grief. No wonder you're a Ducks fan.

/Predsfanboi

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t a shorter list be “Sports with the best fans?”

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think every sport has its share of douchebag fans.

The particular type that has lately been annoying is the AMERICAN soccer fan who corrects you when you call it soccer and not football. I don't hate soccer. I don't love soccer.

But fuck right off with that.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted