1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which quarter ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

... thus far is the best design?
    I received an Idaho quarter in my change today, and it just took over the number one spot for me. Love that peregrine falcon on it. Of course, I really like birds (not just ducks), so that would naturally give it an edge.
    Next year will be the last year for the minted state quarters.
    What's your favorite?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I want to know why there is a falcon on the Idaho quarter and not a potato.

3. Platyrhynchos

Don't know, Angola!. Maybe it's because taters are below-ground dwelling vegetables? Certainly not the positive image Idaho would want to paint, is it now?
    Anyway, linked here is the Idaho quarter. Pretty cool.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/index.cfm?flash=yes&state=ID

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are they doing nickels now? I got a weird nickel yesterday, I thought it was foreign currency. What is the point of all this??

5. Platyrhynchos

Last year, I think, they started minting nickels with Jefferson not in a profile pose, and they have a buffalo on the back. Or maybe that was two years ago, because I thought of how stupid it was for Kansas to have a buffalo on its quarter while there are buffaloes on the backs of nickels.
    Anyway, that is probably the nickel you received.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The Rhode Island (Newport Harbor/Narragansett Sound) and Maine (Portland Head Light) quarters are quite nice.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm very partial to the Indiana quarter, mostly b/c it has the two things I loved best about living there on the back -- basketball and Indy cars.

8. I like things with animal skulls.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're just jealous that there is no bison skull on the back of your state's quarter, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like the mountains on the back of Montana's quarter. They don't begin to truly represent how majestic the real things are. The bison skull I actually liked.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The best state quarters are the ones on Conan.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think the new nickels have something to do with the bicentennial of the Louis and Clark expedition.

Draft saved Draft deleted