1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Pro Teams Just Need to Go Away?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 24, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The ownership thread got me thinking that we could probably use some serous contraction in all of the professional leagues? Which teams just shouldn't be teams anymore? I'm thinking few, if any, would lose much sleep if the Tampa Bay Rays or Miami Marlins weren't here. How about the New York/New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets, a team that hasn't really developed a devout following despite the Knicks floundering?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Cubs and their fans can vanish anytime as far as I'm concerned.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Florida Panthers

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Thanks!

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sacramento to Seattle.

Seattle should have a team again.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There's a bunch on NBA teams that can disappear and wouldn't be missed. Sacramento, Indiana, Milwaukee, the Clippers, the already mentioned Nets.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought about this a few years ago regarding the NBA. Purely unscientific.
    How many teams are "interesting." The answer I came up with was nine. So nine interesting teams (I don't remember which nine). Therefore, the only interesting games were when two of the nine played each other. Unscientific conclusion: more than two-thirds of the games are meaningless, simply, who cares?
    Probably could have done this with the NFL, NHL, MLB, too. But didn't bother.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those nine can change quickly, though. Ten years ago the Warriors and Bucks would not have been among the nine in the NBA. The Spurs would have been.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two of those teams were among the four best records in the NBA this season when the season was suspended. One of them was an odds-on favorite to win at least the conference title, if not the whole thing.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

One of my favorite trivia questions: What was the last team in the four major sports to dissolve? (No moving to another city, or changing its nickname)

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Is it the Cleveland Barons? Although they merged with the North Stars.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Correct on the Barons, but as for moving, I think you're thinking of the Cleveland Crusaders. They eventually became the Minnesota Fighting Saints.

Draft saved Draft deleted