1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which pro franchise is most in need of a new owner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Robert, but he looks like a Bruce.

He managed to stumble into a pretty decent team. The Booker pick is probably one of the better mid-first-round picks anyone has made in the last decade, and they fleeced the Wizards to get Oubre.

EDIT, just for fun, my list of great picks from 10-20 in the 2010s:
    2010 - Eric Bledsoe (OKC, 18th)
    2011 - Klay Thompson (GS, 11th), Kawhi Leonard (IND trade to SA, 15th), Nikola Vucevic (PHI, 16th), Tobias Harris (CHA, 19th)
    2012 - Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL, 15th)
    2014 - Zach LaVine (MIN, 13th)
    2015 - Devin Booker (PHO, 13th)
    2016 - Domantas Sabonis (ORL trade to OKC, 11th)
    2017 - Donovan Mitchell (UTA, 13th), Bam Adebayo (MIA, 14th)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    TigerVols and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've had a soft spot for the Suns since Curtis Perry, Alvan Adams and rest pushed Boston in the 1976 Finals. That and Jerry Colangelo's start in Chicago before moving to Phoenix.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

No one thinks the Mets need the Wilpons to sell?

Liut likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Not exactly a franchise, but I'll offer up NASCAR.
    It fits the bill of @DanOregon number one type of owner.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised Roush and Hendrick (and a few others) haven't forced the hand of NASCAR, set it up like CART did. Unless they too the financial prospects of the sport look iffy. Let the France's keep the tracks and split the race weekend revenue. There is probably more value in the real estate now anyway.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Dolans, the Nuttings and Tom Gores should be loaded into a barge and pushed to sea.

Liut likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Suns were the only pro team in Arizona that I could get into when I lived there about 15 years ago, during the Nash-Stoudemire-Marion years. The last vestiges of the Colangelo era in Phoenix. Now, I don't know what the hell they are and the only constant has been Al McCoy on the radio.

Liut likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

All fair points. But I ask you this: if the Pirates by some miracle were the highest bidder for, say, Machado or Harper, would they have gone to Pittsburgh? Probably.

Meanwhile, NBA free agents want nothing to do with playing in one of the historic arenas in one of the best cities in the world because of the guy running the franchise. It says a lot about Dolan how many free agents have turned down max contracts from the Knicks to play elsewhere.

Also, if the NBA had as few playoff spots as MLB, the Knicks would have one playoff appearance in the last 20 years.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You left out setting the barge on fire. And Daniel Snyder.

Liut likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’m an Eagles fan so the Redskins can suck forever. They’re terrible yet so many of their fans shit talk. Plus it allows for traveling to DC, scooping up cheap tickets and catching a game.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Julie Fie in media relations.

HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the thing. The Pirates will never be the highest bidder for even a mid-level free agent as long as Nutting is the owner. He won't allow it. That costs too much money.

I'm not arguing that the Knicks are run better than the Pirates. I'm arguing that the greater sin is not caring about winning at all and refusing to spend money based on that priority.

Draft saved Draft deleted