1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which previously successful coaches are unhirable?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Petrino getting hired made me think of this thread... I'm not surprised for a second that Petrino was hired...

It is interesting that some of the names mentioned on this thread still have not been hired.

Gary Barnett is the one that I'm most fascinated about, because the guy can coach.

I thought I read somewhere that Dan Hawkins was a finalist for the UTEP job.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thought he was solid at Colorado and good on the field at Washington.

3. Mizzougrad96

I remember someone telling me about Neuheisel that it wasn't a coincidence that the first two schools to hire him had females as university presidents where he could just charm the hell out of them...

Don't think that's working too well these days. I'm guessing he could be a QB coach in the NFL in a heartbeat, but he may enjoy doing TV. I don't think he's unhirable.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Llew Holtzth

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

heh. heh.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Mark Mangino. If he didn't get a job with the high amount of openings this cycle, he never will.
    Tom Bradley. Too much PSU scandal stench on this guy for anyone to take a chance. He campaigned for the UCONN job and was passed over for a 700 year old Paul Pasqueloni.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mangino's not getting another job unless he loses about 200 pounds. Despite the good job he did at Kansas, no one wants a morbidly obese guy as the face of their program.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

In fact, it seems Kansas is the ONLY program in the market for morbidly obese coaches.

9. Mizzougrad96

Do you think his weight is a bigger issue than how things ended for him at Kansas?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes. He'd at least have been hired as a coordinator somewhere, I would think.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Has there been any conclusion on the Mike Leach abuse investigation at Washington State?

I think most people think the Adam James thing was at least overblown, if not complete BS, but if he gets popped again for something like this so quickly at his new school, Leach may have trouble finding work. And having shitty seasons like he did this year won't help much, of course.

12. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how many of these coaches were happy to be paid to do nothing for a few years, especially the ones in their late 50s early 60s.

Draft saved Draft deleted