1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which previously successful coaches are unhirable?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if Gary Barnett's issue is more the relative lack of success at Colorado rather than the off-field stuff. He didn't get the ax until the season after the scandal hit, a Big 12 title probably would have saved him.
    I'm sure there is some formula that factors in winning percentage, time and seriousness of transgression.

Didn't realize he's a few years past 60.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It'd be hard for a fanbase to get fired up about Barnett, I think, which would make him a tough hire for any mid-level and above FBS school.

I agree with others who've said a lot of these people could be rehired if they looked in the right places. Frank Solich, for instance, could easily be on this list, but is coaching at Ohio. Who knows why they aren't taking those jobs. Maybe they have big money in the bank, or at least enough that whatever they can rake in as a football color guy is enough to keep them from the insanity that is coaching major college football.

I think the guys who've had real train wrecks like Dave Bliss and Baylor are the only people who are truly unhireable. Even Tressel's role in Ohio State's current quagmire pales in comparison to that clusterfuck.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Is Texas State a BCS school?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's going 1-A in another year or two. And with the way the Big 12 is going, it may well be pretty soon!

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Versatile's mentioning of Todd Bozeman jogged my memory about another one ... Clem Haskins (he's 68 now, but hasn't coached since he was 56)

6. baskethead

baskethead Member

Willingham for sure. The guy went winless his final season, though he is such a pleasant person to deal with.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He also wasn't fired from Washington because of how the team was doing. It was part NCAA tourney pool and part him lying about interviewing for the Niners job.

Neuheisel could do well at a MWC school, maybe a place like San Diego State. I think he's better suited to be a QB coach in the NFL.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Bobby Bowden

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I agree with your QB coach idea. I think Neuheisel will resurface but not as a head coach. If he does get hired as a head coach, he'd be better off running the offense himself and not bringing in an offensive coordinator. Not because he'd be better than an OC but because he interferes too much with what the OC is trying to do.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Tommy Bowden

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Wasn't Slick Rick the guy who taught Keanu how to be a QB for Point Break?

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

• Butch Davis - The end of his UNC tenure pretty much torpedoed him, now and forever. UNC will be picking up the pieces from that debacle for a long time. He might surface somewhere small, but his days of big-time jobs are done.
    • Houston Nutt - He won't coach at a BCS school again. His Ole Miss tenure was pockmarked with recruiting failures and poor game management. And discipline wasn't the best in Oxford. As I said today in a column, Ed Orgeron, who said "you always judge a trapper by his furs" was good as a trapper, but a terrible maker of coats. Nutt did neither. They went 9-4 two years in a row with Ed's recruits and he didn't sustain the momentum on the recruiting trail.
    • Rick Neheuisel - I really think he had pictures of admin types involved with sexual congress with farm animals. How did he keep getting these primo jobs? And fail every time? UCLA is worse under his misrule.
    • Mike Shula - Repeat with me...not a head coach. Not a lead dog. Not at all. Good QB tutor. Great guy. But not an alpha dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted