1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which players/coaches/executives have gotten the most others into halls of fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Oct 30, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know how many players those guys will get into the HOF, but how many offensive assistants have gotten head coaching jobs as a result of working directly with one of them?

Weis, McDaniels, O'Brien, McCoy, Caldwell, Arians... I'm sure there are more.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Even some of Belichick's lesser minds- Mangini and Schwartz- broke the head coaching ranks.
    That doesn't happen if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get knocked out of a game by Mo Lewis.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

*That* would be a great sports story: What if _______ didn't happen.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Off topic, the Mike & Mike interview with Belichik this morning was the most awkward television I've ever seen. Greenberg was dressed up as Tom Brady. Golic was dressed up as Belichick.

Toward the end of the interview, they asked him about the mayor who died.

Belichick says something like, "We weren't close. It's sad, though."

Then they ask him about LeBron's return to Cleveland, and what it's like as a coach to navigate such side shows. He answers something like, "I'm not close to that situation. I'd prefer not to comment." Golic stammers and starts to try to explain to him that it's just a general question about coaching through distractions, I think is where he was going to go with it, but Greenberg rescued him.

Belichick has to be the most miserable person on the planet. He really does.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In his regular Friday presser this morning, Belichick ripped New England weathermen as incompetents. Geez, does he grade out the recipe segments in the TV news, too?

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Because he just doesn't give a shit about media, Dick.
    He will get excited if the media ask him something he deems interesting- such as the evolution of the tight end or history of the PAT.
    If you watch A Football Life he shows some measure of charm.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't even know if it's that. I don't think he understand the questions. I don't think he grasps that they are softballs. He's like "Rainman."

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it was the specific question. Belichick's more than sharp enough to know what Golic meant, and when he hears "distractions" he naturally thinks "my tight end who got arrested for multiple homicides." No way he's steering near that rock.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Maybe, but that has more to do with Belichick than Brady.

I think it's funny that offensive coordinators get head coaching jobs based on their time with Manning. "So, you were the OC with a QB who called all his own plays?"

McCoy was a little different. He won games with Tebow as his QB. :D

Caldwell is doing pretty well in Detroit even if they've looked like the luckiest team in the league this season.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Yes, it's funny how Tom Moore went from a guy who coached Mark Malone in Pittsburgh to genius 20 years later in Indianapolis.

11. RecoveringJournalist

No kidding.

There are coaches who deserve some of the credit for guys becoming top quarterbacks, but I laugh at the notion that Adam Gase is the new "it" coordinator because he's worked with Manning.

I'm a little more impressed with the guys who actually developed a QB or taking a QB to another level. It's hard to give any NFL coach much credit for Manning. I think the last coach who can take credit for Manning is David Cutcliffe.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Well, look at Dennis Allen- he got a head coaching gig helped indirectly by one guy's terrible quarterbacking.

Draft saved Draft deleted