1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which players are in the baseball HOF who don't deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll have to take a long look before I put more names down, but Tony Perez is the name that immediately stands out.

Curious what others think. I love the HOF debates on this site and am curious who else people think have been voted in who don't deserve that honor.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Phil Rizzuto and Bill Mazeroski belong in this discussion.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Gary Carter, Don Sutton, Paul Molitor.

Those are the first three that come to mind. I just don't like the guys who acculmulate big numbers through longevity, but were never really "great."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't understand what people have against Tony Perez...probably the most feared hitter in the Big Red Machine lineup for 10 years. He had 11 consecutive years of 90 or more RBI, was a very good defensive first baseman and has a higher career BA and OPS+ than Bench (who obviously deserves tons of extra points for being a great catcher as well as a great hitter).

Perez is legit to me.

Some of the Veterans Committee selections were awful ... like Rick Ferrell,

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As a Reds fanboi I gotta take up for 'Doggie' Perez, he had more RBI (I think) than anyone in the '70s and the other Reds greats say, to a man, that he was the most important part of the Big Red Machine.

EDIT: spnited beat me by a minute, but me and the one-man Veterans Committee agree :)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Perez was a BBWAA vote, not a vets committee pick, playthrough. And as I have often said, very deserving.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's way old, and it pains me to say this about the lone Wahoo in the hall, but Eppa Rixey really has no business in Cooperstown. For more old-timers, none of Tinker, Evers or Chance should be in.

For more modern guys, Nellie Fox is shaky as hell. Jim Bunning comes to mind, as does Kirby Puckett. And while not a player, how the hell did Bowie Kuhn get in?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ryne Sandberg

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dennis Eckersley. And with Molitor, the numbers are pretty damn good, so I guess he belongs despite being largely woodwork.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any of them you can't name off the top of your head.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Go fuck yourself ... hard.

Molitor was not a compiler, he was by nearly every account one of the best hitters in the AL for more than a 10-year period. He was also very productive in the last half of his career, which accounts for a lot.

Had he not been injured for much of the first half of his career, who knows what numbers he would have put up?

As to the question at hand ... very few to none jump out to me, maybe Bobby Wallace from the early days, but all I have are stats to justify an argument against.

One person's HOFer is another person's undeserving candidate, but the truth is that every one of them was great in some way and was the best at what they did in some fashion. Even Mazeroski. Just because some people don't value what he did defensively at his position doesn't mean he isn't qualified.

People get too caught up in this shit. It's not as if I went to Cooperstown, saw Bruce Sutter's plaque and was offended by it. I don't think Bert Blyleven is a HOFer, but if he gets voted in, I won't swear off acknowledging the HOF.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He has 3,300 hits, seven all star appearances and four silver sluggers.

That's good enough for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted