1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHICH PHRASE ARE YOU SICK OF....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I agree with most all of these. Especially "(Blank) Nation" and "walk off" home run, "Verticality," "Upside"

I haven't looked, but I would assume "Boo-yah" was near the top???

Anything Stuie says more than once.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

But does "game-winning homer" really tell the whole story? Hell, a game-winning homer could be one hit in the first inning of a 1-0 game.

Look, I know I'm in the small minority on this subject, but I just don't understand the hostility toward "walk-off." Don't we strive in this business for telling the story in an effectively succint way? Well, here we have one small hyphenated word (modifying "single," "homer" etc.) that immediately tells you how this game was decided. The only reason I can see everyone's so up in arms about the expression is that it originated from ESPN.

Just my two cents.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more about "walkoff homer." But you guys aren't providing the correct substitute. As the above post points out, a "game-winning home run" isn't interchangable with the usage of "walkoff homer." The phrase that should be used instead is "game-ending home run."

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, "game-ending homer" could work.

5. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Be right back (brb)

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I just heard ESPN use "walk-off" in a new way...

Sal Paolantonio during his post-game report from Eagles-Giants...

"...after Eli Manning's walk-off touchdown pass."

GOOD GOD.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

three pages and no mention of 'drinking the kool-aid' yet?

sooo played out

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Yeah, I'm no longer drinking the Kool-Aid when it comes to drinking the Kool-Aid.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I heard this one a couple of times today and it reminded me how often I do hear it ... "Here's a story everybody's talking about ..." Robin Roberts said it this morning as a lead-in to a Dancing With The Stars segment. Well, I wasn't talking about it, so everybody WASN'T talking about it. This happens a lot and I always wind up yelling at the TV.

Everybody's Talking was a pretty good song (Nilsson??) but most of the time everybody simply isn't talking about it.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

We've done these before, but it's fresh for me right now, so ...

I just got done doing a whole ton of previews for one of those preseason college basketball publications, and it seems like every single coach now refers to his big men as being ``long.'' Whatever happened to tall? And a bunch of them talk about being able to ``score the basketball.'' AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! How about just ``score''?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think "long" generally refers to wingspan, whereas tall would refer to height. While they're usually correlated, they refer to two different things. I don't love the term, but I wouldn't call it interchangeable with "tall."

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree with ya mcpincipal.......I have no problem with the term "walk off homer", but using if they're now using the term "walk off" for other sports....thats dumb.

And I believe Dennis Eckersly coined the term "walk off homerun" when describing Gibson's HR in the '88 World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted