1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHICH PHRASE ARE YOU SICK OF....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Goddamn it. I grind my teeth and raise my fist at the TV, radio, computer screen, whenever I hear that one. :mad: :mad:

Ahhhh, I actually use that one quite a bit, because it masterfully blends together the more verbose, yet all incrementally different, phrases, "take it or leave it," "like it or lump it," "deal with it," "quit your bitching," "there's nothing you, I or anybody can do about it," and of course, "tough shit."

As well as, "They fuck you at the drive-through!! Etc., etc., etc."

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Here's another to add to Crippler's list:

"I'm going to go out and give it 110%

I have never liked this statement. I understand what players/coaches are trying to say - go out, play hard, give it everything you've got, and then give a little more.

If you're able to give a little more, then your original effort wasn't 100%, now was it?

The most you can give is 100%. If you try and fill up a glass to 110% of capacity, all you do is make a mess on the floor.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As a member of the Sooner Nation, which invented the phrase ... you're welcome. ;)

And I shall throw in "the next level." What is the next level anyway, coach? You just won your fifth fucking state championship in seven years.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

- reaggravate
    Aggravate means you did it again, therefore; "re" is pointless.

- walk-off
    What ever happened to game-winning? I'm picking on the empire again, but I think it was the people at Bristol who coined this term.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

any female not on stage singing an aria being ref'd to as a 'diva.'

6. healingman

healingman Guest

One of them has to be "walk-off home run." I mean ... look, it's a game-winning homer. Sure, I'll admit, I'm old school about a lot of shit in the business. But for God's sakes? I think it was ESPN (the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, brought to you by Depends) that started this walk-off homer stuff. Of course .... I could be wrong but I just started hearing them use it.

Maybe AP changed their style and ESPN picked up the ball and ran with it.

Boo-yah!!!!

Boo-hoo.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This makes me laugh every single time.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A-farging-men. College I cover has just started the "nation" bullshit quite a bit. Played. Out.
    Next!

9. Did you ever interview Spinal Tap?

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just win, baby -- Al Davis.

But then again, that won't be true of the 2006 Raiders.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One game? I think maybe they can handle that. ::) ::)

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks, Al

Draft saved Draft deleted