1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which photo do you use?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, May 20, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I know the value of emotion shots, but I think it's best to pick your spots. The sports section where I work uses them so much, they overwhelm the section sometimes. I'm not exaggerating when I say that some days 90 percent of the photos in our sports section are celebration shots, and I've seen a day or two when only one action shot made the cut. For the entire section.

For that reason, I look for great action shots most of the time, mixing in enough celebration shots to add that aspect where it's best. It's so easy to pick celebration shots. But they are so repetitive, too. Big smiles, arms raised over heads. Yeah, I get it.

So l always look for the great action shot first. We drown our readers in emotion shots, so I'm happy to supply them with a little game action, too.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Also, I try to avoid trophy shots at all costs, though fellow designers don't always agree. (Read: Fellow designers seem to go for the trophy shot 75 percent of the time for no damn reason when building around things involving trophies.)

Draft saved Draft deleted