1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which papers sent a writer to the Women's World Cup?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 11, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jones, still in England, analyzes today that France could be a tough matchup.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-jones-soccer-france-usa-20110712,0,301258.column

Meanwhile, Bill Dwyre is at the British Open.

Only thing I can think of Jones has family in England and there's some family stuff going on. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could be. I've noticed the stories the last couple of days, at least on the MCT wire, have run withou datelines, or the tagline about him reporting from England.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not sure why USA Today doesn't count, but they have David Leon Moore and, it appears via Twitter, Christine Brennan both over in Germany.

Also, the Washington Post has hired a freelancer/stringer/someone by the name of Michael Birnbaum, at least for the knockout stage.

4. MileHigh

Jere Longman had Monchengladbach datelines today, so looks like he's joined the party.

5. MileHigh

Don't know about the other major sites, but Yahoo has a writer over there.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nancy Armour is one of the best.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Toronto Star.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

ESPN has an army. Sports Illustrated has at least Wahl. Sporting News doesn't appear to have sent anyone but is having staffers chime in stateside. (I say this based on a lack of datelines.)

I don't think NBC, FOX or CBS sent anyone.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just stunned that Christine Brennan is there.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Why isn't she at Royal St. George's to write about how that golf club has zero female members? It's true.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I cringed when I read this USA Today recap on today's match:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2011-07-13-usa-france-semifinals_n.htm

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, ESPN is the rights-holding broadcaster. So, in typical ESPN fashion, they will treat it like it's the biggest thing in the world and people should actually care. It's women's soccer, for crying out loud. Ranks lower on the totem poll than next month's world track and field championships, IMO.

But, the bigger issue might be this... given the financial state many newspapers are in, how long before they cut out all travel altogether? Is it really a smart spent to send writers all over the globe when you can get the same stuff from a wire service that you are already paying for?

How many US papers will staff the British Open this week?

Draft saved Draft deleted