1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which papers sent a writer to the Women's World Cup?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing not many beyond the NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, etc...

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Women's Wear Daily?

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Did those three send someone? Impressed if they did. With travel cutbacks these days, it's an impressive statement to make by sending a staffer there, even just for semis and finals ...

4. Obscure Sports Quarterly?

Kidding ... kidding ... kidding ...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Washington Post didn't.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Jere Longman was there for the Times, and there was a secondary byline.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow.

I wonder if there are five US papers over there. I'd be inclined to say USA Today doesn't count.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Times is not there.

Grahame Jones is writing from his couch in ... Ross-on-Wye, England.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0711-jones-soccer-20110711,0,3531921.column

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I don't think Grahame Hones is covering Galaxy/Chivas USA as a "beat" writer, either. Is he basically just a once-a-week columnist with occasional special columns for bigger events? It just seems odd that they can't get him a flight across the Channel for the US matches at least.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Times should be really embarrassed, if not in Jones, but by its copy desk, when he talks about the "11 women on the field" ... uh, red card? But I've been wondering the same thing. Fly him over or put him in car and send him through the Chunnel. If he's just gonna write everything off TV, well ...

11. I'll say this: Nancy Armour, whom I have great respect for, is doing an excellent job for AP on the U.S. team.

As an editor, I'd rather have an AP writer on the scene than a "name" writer watching on TV.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But did he get in the locker room

Draft saved Draft deleted