1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Oscar looser wins first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 26, 2007.

?

Which often-nominated Oscar looser will win first?

1. Kate Winslett

30.8%
  2. Leonardo DiCaprio

57.7%
  3. Johnny Depp

11.5%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere that the last 10 actresses to win Best Actress had all shown their breasts on film at some point...

Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba should take note of that...

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like Peter O'Toole is going to make it. This looked like his last good chance to win, and you could see it in his face as Whitaker's name was announced.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Titanic' was awful, but that wasn't DiCaprio's fault.
    'The Beach' was awful, but that wasn't DiCaprio's fault.
    'Gangs of New York' was a good-looking movie, but not very good. DiCaprio was not believable in his role.
    Every other movie I've seen DiCaprio in, I've enjoyed.

Depp did the dreadful 'Secret Window.'
    His performance in the Disney 'Pirates' movie was fun but not award-worthy, and the movie was a lot more fun than I was expecting.
    The second 'Pirates' movie was terrible.

'Titanic' was terrible, which wasn't Winslett's fault.
    I've never her seen her in any other movie that I didn't like.

4. Mizzougrad96

I may be in the minority here, but I liked The Beach...

The problem with Gangs of New York was Cameron Diaz. God-awful actress...

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

DiCaprio and Diaz were both bad in the movie, but the movie real problem was one of scope and breadth.
    Maybe lack of focus is better criticism.
    That could be problem with screenplay. I didn't read the original, so I don't know how much it had to be changed to get the movie made. Of course, I realize the screenplay was nominated. I don't remember if it won.
    It was certainly a problem with the direction.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Diaz has some potential to be better -- remember her in Being John Malcovich -- but she has pretty severe limitations. You have to remember, it's not like she's someone who has seriously studied the craft. She's really just a model turned actress, and if you put her in something like My Best Friend's Wedding or Something Abour Mary, she can pull it off well. She does comedy well. As far as models who became actresses, she's about as good as anyone outside maybe Charlize Theron, who has made one good movie. But put Diaz in a stupid role like Any Given Sunday or something hard like Gangs of New York, and she's painful. I've never seen Vanilla Sky, so I don't know how bad she was in that, though I can easily imagine. It's sort of why I think Katherine Heigel could be the new Cameron Diaz in a year or two.

DiCaprio is growing as an actor. He may not be Brando by any stretch, but you can tell he does truly care about the craft. I think, more than his looks, his voice is his biggest limitation. It's took whiny. Even in The Departed, he does a credible accent, but the pitch is just too high ("dey gonna chop mee up and feeed mee ta da poooor!"). Either way, I respect that fact that he's really only interested in serious roles. It would be interesting to see him in a comedy, but I'm glad he isn't doing the dumb romantic comedy money grab every now and then.

Winslett will win eventually. She's the most talented actress of her generation, and it's really not close. I'd love to see her in a Sofia Coppela-directed film.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Anyone else think he'll end up with an honorory next year? His body of work would seem to indicate he should have one.

8. Neither of them should have won that year. Ralph Fiennes should have won for his role in Schindler's List.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, I don't see him as a pretty boy.
    I just haven't seen a lot of immersion into a role. I never saw him as Howard Hughes, for example, I saw him as Leo DiCaprio playing Howard Hughes. But as much as I find John C Reilly wooden, I saw him as his character.
    I think a lot of it does have to do with his squeaky voice, as someone said earlier.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i have great respect for leo, as noted before, but i can see where the voice would be a problem. i thought it hurt him playing howard hughes.

i also thought his turn in "gilbert grape" was nothing short of superb.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I think Leo will win one first (but have my fingers crossed for Kate, too). I think Leo and Martin Scorsese will hitch their wagons together a few more times, allowing Leo to get a golden statue. I see Leo as Marty's latter-career De Niro. Speaking of which, I read somewhere after De Niro finished filming "This Boy's Life" with DeCaprio, he called Scorsese and told him he should check out the young actor. Marty made a point to look him up because, as Scorsese said in the article, "(De Niro) had never done that before ... and he's hasn't done it since."

I gotta respect DeCaprio. When I saw "Grape," I thought he was GREAT. When I saw "Titanic," I thought he sucked. He took a lot of shit for Titantic and could have turned bat-shit crazy (ala Britney), but he continues to make good movie after good movie. Every movie I've seen him in except Titantic and Man In The Iron Mask, I come away liking him and his performance despite myself.

12. Mizzougrad96

DiCaprio's best move was to align himself with Scorcese. The guy doesn't make too many bad movies...

Draft saved Draft deleted