1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Oscar looser wins first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 26, 2007.

?

Which often-nominated Oscar looser will win first?

1. Kate Winslett

30.8%
  2. Leonardo DiCaprio

57.7%
  3. Johnny Depp

11.5%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Discuss.

I was gonna add Johnny Depp, but I didn't. I can be convinced otherwise.

EDIT: I added JD for Oz.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Winslett -- she should have two already

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Winslet will lose again.

And I wil be available to console her, as I always am.

I would like to see Johnny Depp win, and it's about time both DiCaprio and Winslet win too.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm so glad you're there for her :D

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that about Depp. He's bound to get one eventually with the roles he takes.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

A-Rod.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perhaps. He's excellent in everything he does. Maybe could have gotten a nod for any number of movies, at the vey least a supporting actor nomination for Chocolat, something for What's Eating Gilbert Grape, etc. Unbelievable he wasn't at least nominated for Fear and Loathing in Las vegas.

But his first nomination was for Jack Sparrow in 2003. Criminal considering he had long since established himself as the best actor of his generation by that time.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think Winslet and Depp both did their best work in Neverland... Both of them are due before DiCaprio...
    Blood Diamonds was his first piece that showed flexibility in character. Just about every other role was "DiCaprio playing as (Name here)..."

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I think Kate Winslet is the finest actress of our generation, and one of the few who is really an actress, and not just a movie star.

So, here's hoping she finds a little gold man to take home.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A little goldman like him?

[​IMG]

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I disagree. "Catch Me If You Can," "The Aviator," "Gangs of New York," I completely believed his character in all of them (nevermind "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "The Basketball Diaries"). I think he's proven to be much more than a pretty boy, which is why I was so impressed with him in "Gangs." I never thought he'd pull off a badass like that.

I think he'll be the first to take home an Oscar. Depp might be a better actor, but as eclectic as his choices in roles are, the films he's in aren't usually that great, nor are they very often the type of films the Academy likes. As someone who takes the craft more seriously than the awards or fame, that's a choice he consistently makes.

Leo, on the other hand, has been landing some choice roles in the kind of films the Academy loves. By sheer volume of good, Academy-friendly roles, I think he gets it first.

Winslett is good, but there's a group of heavyweights who consistently get nominated as well who I think are all better than her (Blanchett, Mirren, Dench, etc.).

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I also have to disagree with Slappy. Much as I tried to fight it, I like Leo as an actor. He has shown considerable range with several of his roles, and I find it pretty surprising that there is sentiment otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted