1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which of your phrase-turns are you most proud of?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

To each his own, I suppose. Given the normal lack of wit I usually display in my writing, I thought it was pretty decent.

Sorry you guys don't agree.

I honestly thought it might be a jumping off point, because I did post it with the best of intentions. I guess I should have known better.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Sorry for being harsh. I guess the non-smartass advice (unsolicited, I understand) is to concentrate on clarity first.,

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My greatest fuck-ups have happened when I've gotten a little too cute. Now a red flag goes up whenever I start feeling clever. Sometimes you're on deadline but other times it's a good idea to walk away for a while and then go back and re-read what you've written. A good desk can be helpful, too.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Edited a story once about two runners who got engaged at, of all places, a Burger King.

Headline: "With this onion ring, I thee wed"

Story on a promising horse owned by Joe Pesci running at Gulfstream:

Headline:
    "Pesci's
    entry a
    Goodfilly"

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I save myself some time and write equally horrid sentences throughout.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Now we know: Scoop Jackson posts here.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I invented the word, "fucktard."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, hustle.

If you story makes references to possible headlines on that very story, you are reaching way too far.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Well, when you're trying to send something that has to be filed as close as possible to the final whistle, sometimes you have to reach.

Look, I didn't start this with the idea that wow, I'm gonna show this whole place what a wonderful writer I am. I know my limitations, and no one will confuse me with a literary or journalistic giant. Ever.

I really did have the most innocent intentions with this thread, and I'm sorry (for the most part) it hasn't gone that way. I knew that was a possibility when I posted it last night. But I couldn't recall it ever having been discussed here, so I thought it was worth it. I'll leave it at that.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is true, though, that the phrases that you think are the cutest, are sometimes the worst.

I know that's true for me. The ones you have polished and readied all night and even if they don't quite fit in perfectly in the story, you jam 'em in there because you love them so much.

Then they sit there like a turd.

Don't fall in love with your words. Just try to tell the story as best you can.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps even punter Derrick Frost could've used a cold one after his night, which was much like the rest of the Redskins' night. Some of his kickoffs reached the goalline, though another forced Williamson to sprint to the 20-yard line just to catch the ball. His first punt was quite short, leading to a potentially hangover-inducing headline:

Frost at 32 yards

Draft saved Draft deleted