1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which nonfiction book would be you be most devastated to learn was made up?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Few things made me think of this. Some of our discussions hear about In Cold Blood, Lehrer's books, Travels with Charley, Stephen Ambrose's made-up-Eisenhower stories, New Journalism, etc.

And then today on a Lakers messageboard someone was wondering how disappointed Lakers fans would be if they ever learned Kobe was juicing. Would it ruin their view of him? That made me think, well, no.

But...without accusing any book or writer of anything, which book -- which of your idols -- do you hold so sacred that you'd be devastated to learn the writer made things up/lied/fibbed/fictionalized on purpose? Memoirs, to me, are sort of out of this because I'm skeptical of all of those.

Anything intentionally false in these books would make me wonder what in the hell is the point. Minor mistakes, etc., obviously happen. (and maybe others already know that there have been issues with some of these, I don't know). But off the top of my head:
    * Friday Night Lights. "Oh, hey, I made up that part about a coach calling Boobie the N-word."
    * Robert Caro's entire canon: "You really thought I looked through every phone book in Florida just to find a single source in a thousand-page book?"
    * The Best and the Brightest and The Breaks of the Game.
    * What It Takes
    * Battle Cry of Freedom
    * Sunday Money
    * Easy Riders, Raging Bulls. "They didn't actually do all that blow and not everyone had sex with Margot Kidder and Jennifer Salt."
    * Heaven is a Playground

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

* First in His Class
    * What It Takes
    * When Pride Still Mattered
    * A People's History of the United States
    * The Looming Tower
    * Common Ground
    * Paterno

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two came to mind immediately.

The Diary of Anne Frank, as much as I would love to think that it is fiction and not something that happened.

I also immediately thought of Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Bible, both the Original (aka The Old Testament) and the supplement (aka The New Testament)

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

All the President's Men

6. Dick Whitman

Got news for you ...

7. Dick Whitman

Supposedly the scene with Gene Sperling wasn't invented, by big-time exaggerated.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's an important caveat: The book wouldn't be wrong, just fabricated, right? In that case, I really don't care. Anything important has been researched many times over. Even if Charles Darwin wrote On the Origin of Species from a couch in Kent without touching a plant, the findings have been tested many times since.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Kobe Bryant was juicing, it wouldn't ruin my view of him because I already don't like him.
    However, it would definitely downgrade him in my estimation of where is among great players.
    The same is true of LeBron James or Dirk Nowitzki or any other current player who can be considered great in a larger historical context.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Growing Up Brady. I'd be pissed if Greg actually hit that.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In Cold Blood. Oh, wait, that's not nonfiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted