1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which NFL teams will be looking for a new coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The F_Bat Pipeline has Holmgren going deep in the hearta' after Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett are both kicked to the curb. You heard it first here.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The only way that would be better is if Holmgren brought Favre with him.

Two guys who retire and unretire every year.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You know, I'm not sure if Holmgren and Favre are close, but I wouldn't put it past Holmgren to bring Favre in to mentor Romo.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Lions may try to be the first 0-32 team in NFL history.

Ford says he isn't sure if Marinelli will be fired. And he wants Mayhew (the interim GM) and Lewand (forget his title) to stay on, possibly in their current roles.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/12/ford_new_hire_might_not_fill_t.html

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

actually, you heard it on page 1 of this thread: ;D

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Wayne Fontes era is starting to resemble the Chuck Noll era, at least to the people of Detroit......

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep. That boosts the odds on Marinelli returning from about .001 percent to about 25 percent.

And if he does, the over/under on average attendance at Ford Field next year will be about 6,666, in honor of Matt Millen.

Who, it is becoming more and more apparent, is, directly or indirectly, still running the show.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

How in the hell is that possible?

I mean, I know it is, and I know this is the Lions...but shit. That just boggles my mind, that they might go thru the motions of pretending to fire him ONLY TO KEEP HIM ON!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/08/millen-still-pulling-the-strings/

This has been widely dismissed, but the sequence of events, I think, is supporting it more and more.

Think about it: Millen publicly "dismissed," but remains on the payroll as a "consultant."

The major roster move of recent weeks, signing Culpepper, entirely typical of Millen: signing a washed-up, injury-hobbled, waived-out-of-the-league, "savvy seasoned veteran," and then immediately sticking him into the starting lineup.

Old Man Ford, knowing he is going to continue to pay Millen, announces he is going to keep Millen's cabana boy, Mayhew, in his position next year. No additional salaries or money wasted on a "GM search."

All Mayhew has to do is pick up the Bat-Phone from Pennsylvania a couple times a day, and the machine keeps rolling merrily along. Hell, they even save money on airfare on flying Millen in a couple times a week. Now he can sit back, kick his heels up, and just cash the checks.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I haven't waded through all four pages but the Bears should be on this list.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can WCF be that dumb? Seriously? Because if fact ever got out, no one would go to Lions... he'd have a better chance of selling Ford's at the Renaissance Center

Draft saved Draft deleted