1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which NFL teams will be looking for a new coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only place I could imagine Martz being a HC would be in Oakland.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Al Davis would love his offense (not that you could do it with JaMarcus Russell).

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Is there an offense that would work with Russell? In his defense, stability and continuity haven't been on his side.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Mike Martz' offense would not work in Oakland for another reason - - not just JaMarcus Russell's inaccuracy throwing the ball.

With so many of his "5-in-the-pattern" plays on the Call List every week, Matrz' offense demands a pair of offensive tackles who are above average at pass blocking AND interior lineman who can hold a pocket without help from a back or a tight end in the backfield or anything like that.

Absent major improvements on the Raiders' O-line Russell would be running for his life in that offense - - or maybe waddling for his life.

Having said all that, I now believe that Mike Martz is #1 on the Al Davis wish-list for 2009...

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Martz. Vick. '09. Raider Fever, catch it!!!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jim Fassel says fuck off, that's his gig!!!

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Dick Jauron does not deserve to be a head coach in the NFL. He parlayed one improbable season in Chicago into an unwarranted extension, and why the Bills ever hired him after he proved the extension was a bad idea is beyond me. He's had one winning season in his coaching career, and if the Bears didn't have 17 horseshoes up their ass in ’01 he wouldn't have that.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure nobody will make the mistake of hiring Jauron again.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Please make this happen.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Raiders are screwed as long as Al Davis is alive. No decent coach is going to tolerate his meddling. Despite a plethora of high draft picks, the team is no better (perhaps worse) than it was five years ago. Don't see Russell as a legitimate NFL quarterback and the offensive line is a disaster. The defense, which as recently as two years ago was pretty respectable, was shreaded every which by a group of New England backups last week.

The 49ers aren't much better off. Singletary could make a decent coach, but he probably needs another year or two as a defensive coordinator first. The team may have an aversion to having a black head coach long-term. And, what, pray tell, of the Alex Smith saga? Here is a guy who you took as the number one pick in the entire draft and claimed you were going to build your future around. So what gives?

To chunk the guy is admitting a failure on par with Iraq/WMDs. When you pick a guy with the top pick in the whole draft, you damn well better make it work! Are you listening, Al Davis?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Under Singletary, the 49ers have advanced from the underclass to the ranks of the respectable working poor. That is about all any coach this side of Paul Brown could have accomplished as an inseason replacement. He should get the job.
    No offense to Josh McDaniel, but the names Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel would make me, the owner, VERY cautious about hiring Belichick assistants. Come to think of it, so would the name Nick Saban-albeit for different reasons.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As usual, Mike Martz came in and insisted on complete authority to install his latest refugee from the drive-through lane at quarterback and lock everybody else in the tool shed.

If Singletary is given the "permanent" job, the first thing he needs to do for his own job security, not to mention the concept of reality-based roster decisions, is to FIRE MIKE MARTZ.

Draft saved Draft deleted