1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which NFL teams will be looking for a new coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So Mangini better get them into the playoffs!!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

10 seems a little high, unless there is some unexpected development somewhere.

Cleveland and Kansas City will get in a bidding war over Bill Cowher (at least he'll be off CBS). Seattle may rethink whether Jim Mora is the best way to go. Jim Haslett has potential in St. Louis, but his showing this year (admittedly with a team with NO talent) isn't helping his chances.

Changes:
    Buffalo: Dick Jauron out after a 4-0 start becomes another losing record.

Cleveland: Romeo Crennel was in over his head to begin with; one cinderella year. Cowher is leading candidate.

Cincinnati: This team reminds many of the Bengals of the 1990s. Marvin Lewis is pretty clueless.

Kansas City: Will probably name a GM first, throw big bucks at Cowher.

Oakland: Does anyone really want this job as long as Al Davis continues to meddle?

Seattle: Holmgren stayed one year too long. Not sure Jim Mora is the answer. Team is in for a lengthy rebuilding process.

San Francisco: Improved, but not committed to Mike Singletary for the long term. Mike Martz might be a possibility.

Detroit: Starting over yet again. Can't keep the coach after going 0-16.

St. Louis: Haslett might get the permanent gig.

Ok, so that's nine, with Dallas and Philadelphia being the wild cards. Andy Reid should have stepped down to pay more attention to his son's deliquent behavior. Dallas is a curious case. Never going to win a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips. But if he makes the playoffs, he stays. But never going to win with Terrell Owens, either. Jury still out on Tony Romo. Jerry Jones can be unpredictable.

Look for Jim Johnson and Steve Spagnolo to be mentioned prominently.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How is Haslett the retread showing potential?

Of the interim coaches, Singletary would be the much better option to stay.

I think the Chiefs might want to talk to Cowher before they hire a GM. He has already had one power struggle in his coaching career. I doubt he takes any job unless he either gets to be his own GM or wants to work wth the guy who has the job.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For one thing, it's Steve Spagnuolo. Secondly, I don't see Johnson becoming more than a short-term head coach because of his age (67). He seems pretty content to blitz the hell out of people as a defensive coordinator.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sorry, don't have my rosters in front of me at the moment.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Martz's runaway egomania and offensive idiocy is a large ingredient in the overall fiasco in Detroit (of course, Marinelli's dim-witted roster decisions and Millen's overwhelming stupidity are larger).

Launching Singletary and elevating Martz would give Martz the probably-unprecedented feat of successfully sandbagging, sabotaging and backstabbing three coaches in the course of 12 months (Marinelli, Nolan and Singletary) and managing to end up with a head coaching job himself.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see Martz ever getting another HC job.

Jim Johnson is one of those coordinators who knows he's better suited to do that than be a HC. I don't see anyone hiring him.

I will be curious if Singletary sticks. If SF keeps the GM, I say he stays. If not, I'm guessing they clean house.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I read that as well.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think KC's coaching situation depends on who they hire as GM. If it's someone brought in as a figurehead for landing Cowher, no doubt Hermie is gone. If it's someone like Pioli, Herm could stick for the last year of his contract and then the GM could re-up with him or bring in his own guy. Or he could just say no thanks to Herm and bring someone else in. No real commitment, regardless.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I cannot see any circumstance that causes the Niners not to give Singletary the full time gig.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Holmgren goes there as team president/GM and decides to bring in his own guy, or coach the team himself.

The Niners also are really high on Josh McDaniels.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If only Marinelli had added a couple players from Tampa Bay's Super Bowl team. THAT would have put them over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted