1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which NFL teams will be looking for a new coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing it will be at least 10, which I think was the record set three years ago. That's counting interim coaches (Singletary, Haslett) and guys who have been promised the job (Caldwell, Mora, Garrett).

I think there could be as many as 12.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Browns for sure.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'd think all of the most obvious moves have already been made, so I'm not sure it'll be that high.

I think Singletary stays. Haslett maybe too, unless the owners in St. Louis think they can do better by hiring a rookie a la Harbaugh/Smith/Sparano (with the difference that two of those teams had some talent and the third has a taskmaster at the top). I'd guess Marinelli stays, because who in the hell else wants that job?

Does Jauron take the fall for Trent Edwards' fall back to earth? Does the Texans' resurgence save Kubiak? How much rope does Herm get without Peterson around, little or none? And I have to think patience is wearing thin with Norv; it's about that time, isn't it?

McNabb will go before Reid does in Philly. And if Zorn gets fired, then Dan Snyder is a bigger fool than even I gave him credit for.

Like PC said, Crennel is a likely candidate, but he seems to be one of the few.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Marinelli & Edwards are not coming back. Kubiak should be safe.

5. Mizzougrad96

We know Seattle, Oakland, San Fran and St. Louis will have new/different coaches than they started the 2008 season with.

The Chiefs, Browns, Bengals and Lions would all seem pretty likely as well.

Texans, Jaguars, Colts, Cowboys and Redskins all could join that list.

Philly could be there as well. Maybe the Vikings if they find someway to miss the playoffs.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am told the Lions might be in need of a housecleaning... so I would figure they could use a new coach.

7. Mizzougrad96

No way does Marinelli survive.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

Del Rio is safe.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Del Rio isn't going anywhere. He signed an extension last year and there is no way the Jaguars can afford to pay him off.

Texans should stick with Kubiak. If Rosenfells doesn't implode against the Colts, the Texans have a shot at the playoffs.

10. Mizzougrad96

Del Rio should be safe.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't see the Bengals making a change, Marvin Lewis has years remaining on his contract and it wouldn't be the Bengal Way to pay someone not to work.

12. chester

chester Member

Judging by their record of late, it seems all the Bengals have been doing is paying people not to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted