1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Network will get the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Montreal was a financial disaster, but Canada has hosted two successful Winter Games since then.

Still, Winter Games requires a lot less infrastructure than a Summer Games.

But, I do agree that Toronto would be perfect for the reasons you gave. Also a very international city.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought Dallas did a decent job in putting together a bid for 2012 in the early part of last decade. If some heavy hitters like Jerry Jones wanted to pitch in to help bring it in 2020, it could get more traction with the USOC, maybe by default.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dallas certainly has the facilities, but climate might be a dealbreaker. Still, if they let athletes breathe Beijing air, they'll let 'em deal with Texas in August.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be in August, although I wonder if Texans would allow them messing with their football in September.

Texas is, after all, American in name only.

Boston or Toronto would be good choices. Might be Western Europe: Rome has already made a bid, Paris and/or Germany (assuming France or Germany doesn't get the 2018 Winter Games) would be possibilities, as well.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only problem with Dallas is that it doesn't have a suitable Olympic stadium.

I'm serious. There isn't enough room on the floor of Cowboys Stadium for an Olympic-size track.

Now they could do what the did with the GeorgiaDome in 1996 and split it in half and use one side for hoops and one side for gymnastics. But they'll still need a 80 to 90,000 seat stadium for track & the ceremonies.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto is getting the Pan Am Games in 2015, but I doubt there is much interest in another Olympic bid. Toronto had strong bids for 1996 and 2008 - despite the rabid opposition from the Bread Not Circuses crowd - but the city isn't exactly flush with money and doesn't have the infrastructure needed for an Olympics.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about the 2018 and 2020 games - figure one of them goes to Asia and the other to North America since Europe (London, Sochi) and South America (Rio) will have had their turns.

Draft saved Draft deleted