1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Network will get the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Presentations today in Switzerland. Who gets them?

I saw one person suggest FOX would use it to increase distribution and fees for its FUEL cable channel. Based on how they used the NFL to build their broadcast network, that makes sense.

NBC could do the same with VS (or whatever they're going to call it).

I'd say FOX has the most to gain for reasons like this:

(Though FOX doesn't currently have a network morning show or late night program. I suppose they could use an Olympic platform to try to launch such programs -- again in the case of late night.)

The best news is that both ESPN & FOX promise more live coverage:

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd laugh if nobody bid on them.

Don't they lose money most of the time?

3. YankeeFan

On the right fee vs. ad revenue, they lost a ton for NBC.

But, can you use them to build audience across your networks so that you have higher ad rates & cable fees long term?

GE also had a very good hospitality program. Executives & sales people got to spend quality time with decision makers in various industries that GE has an interest.

They also grew their business in China.

It's all about what you do with it.

Like the FOX/NFL example. FOX technically lost money on their first contract, but they built their network off of it.

They ended up with better affiliates (that they took away from other networks) and they grew their audience for the entire network. It also just plain legitimized them.

4. Mizzougrad96

This isn't the NFL though. What Fox did with its first NFL contract was brilliant. They may have technically lost money, but it was definitely worth it.

I think if the other networks continued with new programming against the Olympics (it'll never happen I know...) I don't think the Olympics in prime time would lose as many nights as it would win. I think the numbers are a bit skewered because the other networks just run reruns almost the entire time.

I don't think the Winter Olympics would beat American Idol or DWTS.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It'd be nice if ESPN wins it just for the fact events will be shown live and if you don't want to watch live, then tune in during prime time on ABC.

But I think NBC retains them despite the absence of Ebersol.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Me too. The U.S networks should ask for same deal that Canadian Broadcasting gets. NBC pays 2 billion while Canada pays 150 Mil.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think they would do a lot better if they started them in July like they did in 1984 and 1996 rather than have them go so late into August like they did the last few times.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is why the Olympics have an obscene value for GE and, maybe, Disney. And now that GE only owns 49 percent of the network, that almost means Disney by default.

9. YankeeFan

News Corp is a global business as well.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I vote for TBS, but only if they preempt everything by Tyler Perry.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

No. They lost money the LAST time. Before overpaying for the Vancouver and London rights, the Olympics were quite profitable for NBC.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/01/20100118/This-Weeks-News/NBC-Readjusts-Games-Sales-Goals.aspx

12. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Hoping it's ESPN. All will lose money, but ESPN will lose the least--and will do the best job--due to dual revenue and cable households.

If not, I vote for NBC and hope that Fox does not get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted